Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Ketones in urine at 16 weeks

(8 Posts)
massagegirl Thu 20-Dec-12 13:19:24

Had midwife app yesterday. All was well apart from high ketones in urine sample. Midwife told me I need to be eating more. Just wondered if anyone else had this? Just bit concerned as not seeing anyone again until end of February. Hadn't been easiest of pregnancies, pretty stressful and had amnio at 15 weeks, so don't know if I'm worrying too much!
Thanks for reading x

usernamegoeshere Thu 20-Dec-12 13:56:54

I haven't had myself but its fairly common if you have been having trouble keeping your food in or not eating enough.

If you can pinpoint the cause & correct it then I would do that & not be concerned since your midwife doesn't seem to be. However if you do not know the cause or its not something you can easily correct yourself then pop to the GP/nurse for a recheck.

Celia1978 Thu 20-Dec-12 14:48:36

Yes, I had exactly this at my 25 week appointment. I was a bit confused because I thought I had been eating fine - not masses but normal breakfast/lunch/dinner. (Had scoffed a massive egg sandwich just before the appointment for example.)

So I did worry it might be a sign of something more serious but, no, turns out building a baby does actually take quite a lot of energy. I still don't like eating big meals (just haven't had much appetite the whole time I've been pregnant) but - as suggested by the midwife - I now make sure I snack every couple of hours (fruit, yoghurts, nuts etc. Or biscuits!) and that had sorted it out by my 28 week appointment. I also bought some ketone-testing wee stick things from Amazon but I only used them a couple of times because once I did it was very obvious that the results were linked to what I was eating. Don't think you need to eat MORE exactly, you just need to eat frequently. So try more snacks and maybe the wee stick things too if they'll set your mind at rest.

PipIsOutNow Thu 20-Dec-12 15:11:09

It can also be a sign of dehydration so make sure you're drinking lots too

InNeedofSomeSleep Thu 20-Dec-12 15:23:00

I had this at my 16 week midwife appointment and she just told me to make sure i was eating enough.

massagegirl Thu 20-Dec-12 17:03:36

Thanks everyone. Think just because its been stressful start to pregnancy it worried me. An trying really hard to snack and drink lots today. Guess I thought I was eating/drinking more than I actually was.
Thank you!

nannyl Thu 20-Dec-12 17:33:27

you get keytones when you are starving and / or dehydrating.

Its how they measure how ill you are if you have HG (or are being very sick)

are you often sick?

(I have HG so most of the time have some level of keytones, and go to hospital for IV when they are 3+ or worse)

I think keytones can also be present in diabetics too,
as well as those who are actually starving
and also people following some extream diets (which i guess is technically starving)

massagegirl Thu 20-Dec-12 18:43:22

I've been nauseous a lot but only sick once last week. Think it was +++
I'd just like it checked before another two months so that I can make sure I'm doing this right. I've been feeling so awful with nausea, migraines etc am hoping upping fluids and food might help. I'm not exactly a skinny girl!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: