Talk

Advanced search

A TMI question sorry!! Discharge in last few weeks....

(11 Posts)
BabyBellasMumma Thu 13-Dec-12 16:16:02

I'm 36+4 weeks pregnant. Right the way through this pregnancy I've had quite heavy discharge, normally white. The last few days it seems to be getting less and less but I'm now having a clear watery discharge instead. Is this normal??? Any advice would be great thank you x

BabyBellasMumma Fri 14-Dec-12 09:20:44

Anyone???

Moominsarescary Fri 14-Dec-12 09:28:23

I'm not sure, if it's watery though I'd phone the labour ward and ask their advice. I had some odd coloured discharge a few weeks ago and they advised me to put a pad on and phone back if I had anymore, so maybe put a pad on too so you can keep an eye on it.

BabyBellasMumma Fri 14-Dec-12 20:12:16

Thanks think ill see how it goes over the weekend and maybe ring midwide Monday if no change x

MyLittleAprilSunshine Fri 14-Dec-12 21:22:25

Depending how much their is, it could be either amniotic fluid or even the waters breaking, which isn't always a big gush.

Not to be grim, but what kind of smell does it have?

If it has a sweetish smell, it's most likely to be AF.

If it doesn't have a smell, it's more likely to be waters breaking.

If there is only a little bit though just monitor it and call your mw if it becomes heavier or you feel any discomfort.

Moominsarescary Fri 14-Dec-12 21:26:34

Yes what little says, any change to it ring them up x

TaytoCrisp Sat 15-Dec-12 11:02:47

I agree with Moomin - I think you should phone triage today. It could be amniotic fluid in which case you may need some monitoring. And better still if they can rule amniotic fluid out. I don't want to panic you but I had clear water discharge for a few days before my little boy was born too soon at 23 weeks in July. I would strongly recommend that you call triage today - for peace of mind at least.

surprise11871 Sat 15-Dec-12 13:47:28

hi im 38 weeks pregnant n have been having a watery clear discharge for about a week n yesterday after being told by my cuz it cud be slow leak i rang labour ward n went to day unit to have it checked out they monitored baby and did a speculum to see if it was waters leaking but luckily it wasn't its just discharge took a swab to check infection but said it just looks like normal discharge but was told always best to get checked out as could easily not have been n the relief from officially knowing it is just usual discharge is unbelievable! sorry for rambling on basically could easily just be normal watery discharge but could equally be a slow leak so best to get checked out is my advice

SledsImOn Sun 16-Dec-12 06:22:11

I didn't realise there was a difference between amniotic fluid and waters? In fact I'm sure there isn't..

I've been having the same thing for several weeks, I'm 36+6. I've had a growth scan which showed the baby was fine but the water was low.

I'm having another on Tues. If the water is any lower they will want to talk about induction, though I don't think at 'term' this improves outcomes anyway, so will try and avoid it unless things are truly desperate.

The Dr I was seen by also said, no it's just probably discharge, but it's continuing and getting heavier...just not enough to make me think it's forewaters, which is the big amount - it's got to be hindwaters, that's the small area of fluid (there are two different bits apparently) and tends to cause a trickle rather than a big ol' gush smile

Don't panic at this point (realise you posted on Thurs, hope you are sorted now anyway) as there is a very low risk of infection with hindwater leaks and they can often reseal and replenish without any problem.

But do go and get checked out, especially if you manage to fill a pad, or it gets any heavier, or you start having contractions etc.

At 37 weeks your baby will be ready to arrive anyway so that's good.

Moominsarescary Sun 16-Dec-12 13:32:45

There isn't, but watery fluid doesn't necissarily mean it's the amniotic fluid leaking.

My hind waters broke early with ds2 and they went with a gush, they still gave me ABs and kept me in for two days so it's a good idea to have it checked out.

SledsImOn Sun 16-Dec-12 15:25:16

Oh Ok. Fair enough, it's probably a good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now