Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anti- depressants in pregnancy

(8 Posts)
Kopparbergkate Thu 13-Dec-12 11:43:35

Just been for a MW appt (24weeks with DC2) cried all over her blush I have a history of depression, though my last episode was 6years ago. She's concerned about ante-natal depression; I think she's right and I am slipping down again sad.

She's suggested getting a prescription for citalopram which is "safe in pregnancy". She didn't mention any downsides though - surely there are some? I don't want to start taking ADs without having weighed the pluses and minuses. Anyone knowledgeable about downsides?

I fully intend to weigh this all up properly; I'm not going to say any downside isn't worth the risk (I remember how bad I was last time) I just need to be fully informed.

youmaycallmeSSP Thu 13-Dec-12 12:04:19

I had antenatal depression during my first pregnancy. It is horrible, thanks

Citalopram is generally thought to be safe during pregnancy. There are associated risks but they are rare. More info here. Some of the associated risks on that link (like anencearen't relevant to you now as you're nearly onto the third trimester.

youmaycallmeSSP Thu 13-Dec-12 12:08:05

Argh, horrible phone, sorry!

Risks like anencephaly aren't relevant as you're nearly onto the third trimester.

Do discuss with your GP.

Pickles77 Thu 13-Dec-12 12:09:42

Hi I had AND and took Sertraline.
You'll be okay smile

GirlWindmill Thu 13-Dec-12 12:10:29

I have just discovered I am pregnant (very shocked) and am already on Citalopram. I was worried about this too. I've been on it for about 3-4 months and at the time, a baby was the last thing on my mind. What I worried about most was the de-personalisation aspect of these pills.

However, I feel just more balanced and I'm still laughing. I read into the effect on babies and think you just need to make sure your doctor monitors it.

Just do what you feel you have to do to get through, I guess and don't worry about crying. It's a release.

Ellypoo Thu 13-Dec-12 12:34:33

I am on citalopram and pg too, although was on it before I got pg.

It is supposed to be one of the safest types, by consultant certainly wasn't concerned about it, and my GP knew we were TTC before prescribing it.

My consultant said that their is another type that they prescribe during pg (sertraline I think), but if you get on with citalopram then stick with that.

I hope it helps - I really struggle without it at the moment (I tried to come off it, but it wasn't good!!).

MyLastDuchess Thu 13-Dec-12 12:44:52

I took sertraline throughout both my pregnancies (DC2 born 2 weeks ago) and it's also safe for BFing.

Sertraline carries a very small increased risk of heart problems, so I had a detailed scan to ensure that all was OK.

When weighing up the pros and cons, it's essential to considered that maternal depression can also have serious consequences for an unborn child, including but not limited to low birth weight.

Kopparbergkate Thu 13-Dec-12 16:54:37

Thanks all (particularly SSP, the flowers made me cry...again!) - I hadn't really thought about the effects of me being depressed on the baby. Hmm, lots to think about. I think it definitely it worth going to see the GP. I "just" need to get an appointment - tried this morning and he had nothing till 28 December, there are apparently some being released tomorrow morning for Monday so I'll going to hang on the phone at 8am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now