Talk

Advanced search

Protein in sample

(8 Posts)
Ladylike1 Fri 07-Dec-12 12:34:34

I've been told today that I've got traces of protein in my urine, which has been present now for a few weeks, unbeknown to me. The mac nurse wasn't that bothered, as my bp is "normal", even tho I have slight swelling. Should I be worried, or is it normal?

Flisspaps Fri 07-Dec-12 12:49:39

AFAIK a trace is fine. They'll let you know if it's anything to be worried about.

eagleray Fri 07-Dec-12 12:57:06

Hi - I had a trace of protein a few weeks ago (was 28-30 weeks at the time). They sent a sample off to the lab and it was clear (were looking for either PE or UTI). Sample this week was totally clear too. HTH

Ladylike1 Fri 07-Dec-12 14:19:21

Thank you smile

TwistTee Sat 08-Dec-12 09:43:53

I had protein in my wee more or less from wk7 to about wk30. I'm now 38wks and its come back and my feet, hands and face are swollen.
Initially it was down to Hyperemisis, but I went into hospital on Wenesday for some tests as protein later in pregnancy could be a sign of pre-eclampsia, especially if it comes with odema (swelling) that does not settle, headaches and funny vision.

I'd discuss it further with your midwife. There is a simple blood test they can do to rule it out, as they did with me.

Nicky1306 Sat 08-Dec-12 10:03:00

My midwife told me it was normal in pregnancy to have a trace , means your kidneys are working a bit harder than usual x x

RhubarbCrumbled Sun 09-Dec-12 07:53:17

Make sure the testing sticks are in date and haven't had the lid left off! I had to have 2extra appointments after 30 weeks and was on the verge of being referred to a consultant when the midwife discovered the assistant had been leaving the lid off the sticks. I saw the the funny side.

bubblepop Sun 09-Dec-12 07:57:48

its a very clear indication that your kidneys are not coping well with your pregnancy, don't panic it is only a trace. If that trace turns into a + or more, your kidney function is worsening, its all usually related to high bp and yours is reading fine...so no cause for alarm yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now