Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How big is the mucus plug in a "show"?

(5 Posts)
DeeDee77 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:05:59

Exactly that really... What size of mucus plug should I expect to see in a "show"?

Think I might have just had one (about 2mm x 5mm) together with some amniotic fluid, but could just be watery discharge?! This is my first pregnancy, so not entirely sure what to expect!!

mousebacon Tue 04-Dec-12 22:28:01

Ooh exciting! The honest answer is that it varies. Some come away over the course of a few days and others appear whole. It sounds like yours has gone though.

If it's just the plug you don't need to do anything but if you think you're leaking amniotic fluid then you'll need to be checked out. Give the ward a ring. They'll probably tell you to pop a pad on and monitor things for a little while.

Good luck!

shrimponastick Tue 04-Dec-12 22:30:33

I imagine it can vary.

My hazy memory is of seeing what resembled a couple of tablespoons of blackberry jelly in my pants whilst having contractions.

Good luck.

With my first, my show went while I was on the toilet, but in one big lump - DS born about 4 hours later
With DS2, it went in the shower, and was lots of small bits, rather than one lump (looked like bloody snot -nice). I then had another bigger show just before labour started, DS2 born the next morning

You could go into labour without a show, or have a show and not go into labour for weeks... Sorry!

DeeDee77 Wed 05-Dec-12 17:53:12

Thanks ladies. I spoke to a midwife today and she said it didn't sound like my waters had broken as I would still be noticing leaking in the night and today. However it's something to keep an eye on and I've got my fingers crossed that it won't be too long till things start happening smile. Yay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now