Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Pregnant and had a general anesthetic just week ago - what should I do!

(15 Posts)
ruthietoothie Tue 04-Dec-12 15:20:27

I've just done a pregnancy test and looks like I'm pregnant with no 2! Exciting but a bit worried as had surgery under general anesthetic just ten days ago.

They did a test pre surgery and - obviously - it can back negative.

Tried to get an appt with mid wife but can't be seen for a week or so. Don't know what to do, and what risks are with the pregnancy.

Should I speak to my gp or the surgeon who carried the op out?

Any advice much appreciated,

Thanks,

Ruth

givemeaclue Tue 04-Dec-12 15:22:30

Is this a joke?

YDdraigGoch Tue 04-Dec-12 15:27:28

If you did a negative pregnancy test at the time of the op, then you weren't pregnant, so no problem.

What's the problem?

MrsMiniversCharlady Tue 04-Dec-12 15:30:06

I wouldn't do anything. You were either not pregnant, or at such an early stage that the test didn't detect it. There's nothing anyone without a tardis can do, so I would stop worrying about it.

ruthietoothie Tue 04-Dec-12 15:32:26

No, this is not a joke (and I don't find it particularly funny I'm afraid).

I had the operation last Saturday (24th Nov), and took pregnancy test today. Haven't had sex in between, so guessing must have been pregnant but in very early stages.

Perhaps I should just stop worrying about it....

ISeeThreadPeople Tue 04-Dec-12 15:35:56

Congratulations!

It's unlikely to be a problem at all. A GA in pregnancy is actually okay. Just mention it during booking in.

Hope you're recovered from your op.

BuntysFestiveCollocks Tue 04-Dec-12 16:06:52

My DMIL's friend had a gynae op to investigate some issues she was having. They opened her up, and found a teeny, tiny foetus - she didn't know she was pregnant. They sewed her back up, and that teeny, tiny foetus is now nearly 19, and an exceptionally clever girl.

ruthietoothie Tue 04-Dec-12 16:59:11

Thanks all! That's a lovely story about your friend Bunty...

LikeCandy Tue 04-Dec-12 17:16:40

My Mum went into hospital for a gynae operation under GA, had a positive test only days after (despite negative ones before the op) and gave birth to me 7 months later (full term!) shock

Good luck OP!

ruthietoothie Tue 04-Dec-12 17:22:07

Keep these positive anecdotes coming, making me feel much better, thank you likecandy!!

NAR4 Tue 04-Dec-12 17:59:30

In the very early stages of pregnancy (which I imagine you were) the baby hasn't attached to the wall of the womb yet, so nothing you do at this stage will affect it.

I had a major back operation when I was about 8 weeks pregnant with my second child (like you I hadn't realised I was pregnant) I had been told the medication I was on could stop my cycles and was not given a pregnancy test before hand. My baby was absolutely fine and the midwife and doctor had reassurred me whilst I was pregnant that it would be fine.

nananaps Tue 04-Dec-12 18:06:51

Hi, please dont worry, i had a general anaesthetic to deliver my baby!

Where i work, anaethetics actually save the life of the baby & the mother.

Its fine, really smile

TwitchyTail Tue 04-Dec-12 18:46:47

Don't worry - general anaesthetics are not contra-indicated during pregnancy at any stage. Plus you would have been so early that you were most likely not even sharing a blood supply with your baby at the time. Relax smile

Splinters Tue 04-Dec-12 18:55:11

Bunty that's extraordinary!

BuntysFestiveCollocks Tue 04-Dec-12 19:32:00

It is pretty amazing. She was in her mother's Fallopian tube at the time, so technically I suppose not even a foetus at that stage, just a bundle of cells with promise.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: