Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Looks like I know the sex!

(14 Posts)
wkmmum Mon 03-Dec-12 13:17:29

I'm 41+3 and have just seen the consultant as baby is still breech and I'm getting closer to 42 weeks. When she felt my tummy she thought baby had turned head down so asked them to scan me to check.

Baby is still breech but whilt scanning me the sonographer said 'You're having a little boy aren't you?'. I replied that I hadn't known and she quickly started backtracking and saying she thought I'd called baby 'he'. But she quite clearly said it as a statement.

So I've managed to get all this way, despite extra scans, and now it looks like I've found out. My first reaction was to nearly cry but now I don't know how I feel xx

Rosa Mon 03-Dec-12 13:25:11

at 41+3 my guess is your hormones are all over ths shop - but relief that you have had a scan and even though he/she is breech all is ok ...YOu never know it could be a girl and best of luck when he or she decides to come into the world.

worsestershiresauce Mon 03-Dec-12 13:31:07

Just be happy. A little boy is great, congratulations. It is entirely possible that she did think you called the baby he, or perhaps she messed up, but to be fair you should say before the scan if you don't want to know so that they can turn the screen away if it is obvious. Plus you still have an element of doubt, as she didn't actually confirm. We are lucky to have the technology of scans available to us. My mum is very jealous, she didn't even get to hear the heart beat of her babies, let alone see them on screen.

yellowsubmarine53 Mon 03-Dec-12 13:32:31

Do you mind me asking why it was so important to you not to know?

wkmmum Mon 03-Dec-12 13:36:07

I've said at every scan that I didn't want to know but at the last one they said it was too cramped in there to be able to see anyway. So I thought I didn't need to say this time. Right from the beginning I've wanted a boy but had just got my head around the fact that it might be a girl. Either way I'm just happy baby is ok in there.

Not wanting to know was just a personal preference - no special reason xx

mrscogon34thstreet Mon 03-Dec-12 13:39:31

Ah - in a few days this will be a distant memory and you won't feel anything about it good or bad as you'll have a lovely snuggly newborn! smile

Being nosey - how come you're still pg if baby is breech - my DS was breech until 38 weeks but I was booked in for CS at 39 if he hadn't moved? I am being hideously nosey so please don't answer if you don't want to!

wkmmum Mon 03-Dec-12 13:51:10

More than happy to explain! They wanted me to have a CS but I refused and have a plan in place (written with the consultant midwife) for a vaginal breech delivery. The plan was then for a CS on weds as I'll be +12 (trust policy) but this is now cancelled and I'll be monitored daily from Friday (which is what I'd have done whether baby was breech or not). Having said that, I asked today whether an ECV would be possible and they're going to do it tomorrow. So fingers crossed it'll work but not getting my hopes up as this baby is stubborn!! xx

mrscogon34thstreet Mon 03-Dec-12 13:54:49

I know - my baby was stubborn and had to be manhandled around via ECV! It was painful, but only while they were doing it, the main thing to prepare yourself for is how hungry being nil by mouth for 6 hours will make you at this stage of pg - once it was all over I polished off crisps, chocolate, orange juice (in the car on the way to town) and then 1 1/2 wagamama noodle soups!!

Good luck, and well done for being able to stand up for what you think is best for your delivery IYSWIM? smile

wkmmum Mon 03-Dec-12 14:06:35

Thank-you. Unfortunately for all the drs I'm also very stubborn grin Although I'd never do anything to put baby at risk just for the principal of it.

If it works tomorrow it'll be a big relief as at the mo I'm getting pressure off them cos baby is breech and cos of being nearly 42 weeks. So it'd be nice to have one of those things out of the way xx

LemonBreeland Mon 03-Dec-12 14:20:13

I feel for you. We found out at 20 weeks with DS1 when.we didn't want to know because of the stupid consultant doing my scan. I was really upset about it too. I can well imagine wirh your hormones at tgis stage wanting to cry.

I didn't really get over it until I had ds2 4 yrs later and didn't even allow the mw to tell me what he was, I wanted to look myself. grin

LemonBreeland Mon 03-Dec-12 14:20:41

Oops, good luck with the birth. grin

RooneyMara Mon 03-Dec-12 14:34:31

OP, I'm just wondering if she was just being polite and making conversation - may have seen something non specific and wondered whether it was boy-related or not, or maybe she did think you said 'he'.

When I had a scan last week at 34 weeks it was WAY too hard to see anything - the little legs were all bunched up covering anything obvious.

So I'm honestly not sure she could have seen anything for definite.
Don't worry - you still don't know, not for sure xx

RooneyMara Mon 03-Dec-12 14:35:21

Oh and I was looking really hard for any evidence!!! I'm told it's likely a boy but not 100% sure. I am desperate to know smile

PhilMckrakin Mon 03-Dec-12 16:39:44

When I was pg with dc3 I had to have several late scans. We told them each time that we didn't want to know but at one appointment the sonographer said the same as yours, 'oh he's going to be a rugby player when he grows up' she then realised we didn't want to know and back peddled furiously hmm

I was gutted and really upset for weeks.

When I gave birth to dd I was absolutely shocked as I was completely convinced she was a boy but they'd got it wrong at the scan hmm so don't be too disheartened they don't always get it right and you might still have a big surprise smile

Good luck I hope you get to meet your baby soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now