loader

Talk

Advanced search

How Often Do You See Your Midwife?

(20 Posts)
LaurenCaddy Sat 01-Dec-12 18:25:53

Hey all,

New to Mumsnet so bare with me smile

I'm currently 24+6, and i haven't seen my midwife since 8th August when i was 8/9 weeks. I had low BMI so was referred to a consultant, but he's decided i'm fine and to go back to being cared for by Midwife. I spent 4 days in hospital as i had hydronephrosis, and that was when i admitted myself. I've had all my scans at Taunton Hospital. But i can't help but feel as a first time mummy to be, i should be seeing her more? I have so many questions and go through different things every day. I find my answers for things from forums like this, or Bounty ect. How often do you see your midwife?

Many Thanks

Lauren

Dogsmom Sat 01-Dec-12 18:29:26

First appt was the 8 week booking in one, she then asked to see me at 16 weeks after first scan and blood results, then 24 weeks.
I'm now 26 weeks and will be seeing her every 3 weeks then every 2 weeks towards the end.

She told me that the 28 week one is important as they do more bloods.

LaurenCaddy Sat 01-Dec-12 18:32:08

Yes she took my blood at 8/9 week appointment, but whilst i was in hospital they'd discovered my Pregnancy Notes hadn't been adequately filled in and all my bloods had to redone because she didn't do something right :/

ZuleikaD Sat 01-Dec-12 18:33:00

Around here you would have seen a midwife at 16 weeks for a first baby then at 28. I haven't see mine since about 11 weeks (I'm now 23) and will see her again at 28. Then again at 32, 38, 40.

LillyofWinchester Sat 01-Dec-12 18:35:31

I think it depends where you live, but i also had an appointment with the midwife at 16 and 24 weeks, then 28 weeks, then 31, then 35. Not sure what it'll be after this. Have a look at this flow chart which shows guidelines on appointments, depending on if its your first baby.

Do you have the appointments at your local doctors surgery! Could you call the receptionist and ask them, or ask them if you can book an appointment with the midwife? Maybe there has been a mix up?

pathways.nice.org.uk/pathways/antenatal-care

cupcake78 Sat 01-Dec-12 18:36:06

If you want to see them, phone them up and tell them! You don't get many appointments with them but they are their to help you!

LikeCandy Sat 01-Dec-12 18:38:46

I was seen at 9w and 16w, the next appointment is at 25w.
At 16w they didn't take any blood, they did't want to weight me, and to be honest it was all over in about 5 minutes! They did want a urine sample (but only because I forgot to take one at 9w) though.
I've always been given the impression that no one medical is particuarly bothered about the baby until after 24w!

You should have a phone number for your m/w - why not call her and make an appointment to see her?

LaurenCaddy Sat 01-Dec-12 18:39:57

I live in Burnham on Sea, Somerset.
I've called in to ask how often i should be seeing her, they sent her a message and said she'd be in contact. But she never did. I don't want her to think i'm being pushy :/
It's just silly things, like my boobs started leaking for the first time this week, and i had a massive panic thinking woah this is too early. And people are asking me about birth plans. Tbh i don't have a clue, as i don't know what options are open to me.
I've been told there really relaxed down here with these things. But i'm freaking out.
x

TwitchyTail Sat 01-Dec-12 18:43:13

I got given a list of times to be seen at my booking-in appointment - 16 weeks, 25 weeks, 28 weeks, and then fortnightly after 30 weeks or so. But I had to make all subsequent appointments, I wasn't contacted about them.

Definitely call and book in if you've got things to discuss - it's not pushy, it's their job!

nananaps Sat 01-Dec-12 20:05:03

I AM pushy i'm afraid.

I have a very complex conception history and so insist on being monitored carefully.

However, nightmare, they are SO hard to pin down and to actually get to see.

The receptionists have me ringing other receptionists as they dont book appointments for midwives, so i end up doing 3 phone calls to get the right person in the first place to make an appointment. EVERY single time i ring them.

Clinics are run for only 2 hours once a week, with delegated time slots only.
The last 2 have run SO late that i have had to leave as i have other commitments. So have not seen any one. (the last one, the midwife was standing int he corridoor talking about a house she was buying for 25 minutes with someone, 20 minutes past my appointment time, with one other woman beofre me waiting to be seen)

When i eventually get throught to the correct receptionist, the appointments are booked weeks in advance.

So, i saw a midwife at 12 weeks..booking in, then again at 16 weeks, now i am 31 weeks and have not seen anyone since then.

Classed as "high risk pregnancy" i am very unhappy with the lack of care or attention.

Frustrating and irritated now.

LaurenCaddy Sat 01-Dec-12 20:13:20

Oh dear sad
That's such a shame.
My midwife only does 2 days a week, and there's only 2 for the whole area, so i'd imagine appointments may be hard here to get and maybe that's why she hasn't called after a message was sent through to her?

I thought i might have heard something after being in hospital, like they'd have to keep an eye on my kidney to make sure it doesn't get worse.

I'll go in and try again Monday!

Thanks all to have helped.

FestiveFannyFarts Sat 01-Dec-12 20:34:57

29 weeks here and i'm seeing my midwife for the first time on tuesday. Iv had doctors appointments every month but not as yet met a midwife

Chottie Sat 01-Dec-12 20:41:35

My D is a first time mtb. She has had appointments so far at 8 weeks (booking appointment), then a 'bloods' appointment, then 1st scan at 12 weeks. Then another midwife appointment at 16 weeks. She has her next gender scan at 20 weeks (not sure about her next appointment date). She is having her baby at a midwife led unit and will be looked after by a team of 3 midwives, one of whom will be there at her delivery. They have all been in contact and she has met them all. She has a very complete set of pregnancy notes which she looks after and takes to all appointments and tests.

elliejjtiny Sat 01-Dec-12 20:50:45

I'm in Somerset too, although other end to you. I would have thought you would have your scans etc in bridgewater rather than taunton. You should have seen your midwife at 16 weeks and then see her again at 25 weeks.

OodKingWenceslas Sat 01-Dec-12 22:14:26

If you see a consultant that may be in place of one appt but it sounds like you may need to nag a bit. If you don't hear anything phone the supervisor of midwives and ask about what care you should be receiving.

OodKingWenceslas Sat 01-Dec-12 22:17:28

Come to the due in march thread here lots of chatting & comparing notes!

ZuleikaD Sun 02-Dec-12 07:49:06

nana if you're high risk then I'm surprised you're under the midwife anyway - why not ask to be referred to a consultant? An important part of the midwife relationship is trust and you don't seem to have that with yours?

beckslovestimmy Sun 02-Dec-12 11:46:21

Just over the border here in Devon. Booking in appointment at 8 weeks, 12 week scan and bloods, 16 week midwife appointment checked bloods listened to HB. 20 week scan. 25 week midwife appointment. Then seen every 3 weeks till 34 weeks then every 2 weeks till due date. I've normally booked my next app with the midwife at the end of my appointment. If not I book through the surgery or the childrens centre they are attached to. Also all the appointments are listed in my maternity notes including if they should be at home, at the surgery or at the childrens centre. I've seen a couple if different midwives through this pregnancy due to mine being on A/L or me needing an app on the day she doesn't work. I think all the info ref timing for appointments is in the nice guidelines which I think were in my bounty pack? Hope this helps xx

LaurenCaddy Sun 02-Dec-12 13:19:11

I don't seem to have any relationship with my midwife! I didn't even know they did scans at Bridgwater!? It takes me 1hr and 20 minutes to get to Taunton Hospital as i don't drive as of yet. And then the same back. I suffer terrible travel sickness, i asked to get moved to Weston Maternity Unit now its opened. I was told no sad I saw a consultant once at Taunton, he took my weight, my pee asked if i felt oki, and that was it really. The appointment was an hour late, and then had the dreaded journey back. Why couldn't they have done that at my local drs surgery? I seem to be going very far. And not taken very seriously sad

nananaps Sun 02-Dec-12 19:50:02

Zuleica i AM consultant led, which seems to mean that the midwives have nothing to do with me, not even for a BP check every now and again.

Thought it would be easier to see a mw than a consultant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now