Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Constipation!!! :-(

(16 Posts)
Jenjen85 Thu 29-Nov-12 18:36:38

Has anyone got any advice on constipation or how to get rid/help? I'm currently suffering with morning sickness an I'm not really eating much due to constant feeling sick sad I know they say to eat fruit/veg/fibre but I just can't stomach eating anything remotely like that. Did try liquorice but that just came straight back up (sorry tmi) I'm getting to the stage where I'm getting tummy ache from not going an when/if I do it's not much an a bit painfull, don't really wish to get piles this early on (I'm 8wks 5days) an don't think I can take another 7months of constipation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

kellestar Thu 29-Nov-12 18:50:46

For me, changing to just a folic acid supplement rather than a multivitamin like pregnacare, too much iron bunged me up.

Try not to eat fruit at the same time as hard to digest food, the fruit breaks down quicker and gets held back causing wind/bloating/cramps.

Prune juice watered down and fig rolls. It was a vile time for me. Also had MS and too much liquid sloshing about made my need to puke kick in. So little sips and often.

CityDweller Thu 29-Nov-12 18:55:15

My bouts of constipation were only really in 1st trimester, so it will get better (or at least it did for me). I drank prune juice (not as disgusting as it sounds and avail from the long-life juice aisle in supermarkets).

amazingmumof6 Thu 29-Nov-12 18:55:45

warm water - sip it if you must or cold if you can bear it (my teeth hurt!)

liquids are really the best, you can try gentle laxatives such as prune juic, fig extract or xylitol - do ask pharmacist/gp advice on this!

you can try ginger tea - also good for when you are feeling sick or peppermint tea for tummy ache itself...

for the sickness itself taking brewer's yeast might work..

for most people morning sickness/vomiting eases/stops around 13 weeks so although it's rough now, there's no reason why you'd have to be constipated all the way through!
as soon as you are better you can sort it

can you tell me what you can eat & keep down or what's a big no? is it even constant?

Neiffer Thu 29-Nov-12 19:09:17

Prune juice is seriously amazing. 1 glass a day through pregnancy and Breastfeeding stopped the awful awful constipation. And you do get used to the taste.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Thu 29-Nov-12 19:11:57

Switch from pregnacare to another iron supplement that is easier to digest - floridex or spatone

Jenjen85 Thu 29-Nov-12 19:13:46

Amazingmumof6 I can manage cheese sometimes, toast, salt an shake crisps (no salt), water, soup that's about it sad everything else turns my stomach! Might try fig biscuits don't think I could stomach prune juice. Iv been off work for 2wks with morning sickness an today I got a migraine that made me violently sick, been in bed/dark room for most of the day

amazingmumof6 Thu 29-Nov-12 20:03:32

you poor thing, my deepest sympathies (yes, 6 kids!)

soup and water good.

bread - I'd say try wholewheat/wholemeal, but if that's what you are having already maybe it's making you constipated (too much fibre!) so try white

Jenjen85 Thu 29-Nov-12 20:13:32

I tried brown bread an I couldnt stomach it so been having one slice of white for my breakfast if I can keep it down. Think I might ask my doctor for advise as I have suffered with it before an I get really uncomfortable but with not eating much and bringing what I have eaten back up I'm worried that anything I try won't work

lookingfoxy Thu 29-Nov-12 21:23:05

I went straight to the doc's and asked for lactulose.
I felt ill enough without having constipation on top of everthing.
Im 11 weeks and it seems to be going of its own accord and things returning to normal thank goodness.

I can't stand fresh fruit at the moment (apart from grapes) but I find some dried apricots and raisins/sultanas easier to stomach and I think they are good to help things along

PeshwariNaan Fri 30-Nov-12 11:23:25

Constipation for me didn't kick in until well into my third trimester - at 33 weeks I'm really suffering and I've NEVER in my life been constipated before!! It's awful!

I've started mainlining All-Bran cereal, prunes, fruit and juices and flax seed. I'll let you know if anything works. Feels awful.

heliotrope Fri 30-Nov-12 12:34:38

Noone has suggested linseed - they work really well for me. Just add a teaspoon or two to your food, sorts you out in a couple of days. Try health food shop, you can get brown or golden ones. No real taste - I put on breakfast cereal or porridge, but you could add to soup.
Worth a try

scissy Fri 30-Nov-12 20:08:29

linseed as above is good, also I find that actimel/other probiotic drink helps (although that's more with constipation based IBS)

Nevercan Fri 30-Nov-12 20:29:03

Swimming did the trick for me. Just go for a gentle swim. The water takes the weight off and allows things to get moving :-)

SoHHKB Fri 30-Nov-12 20:35:57

Yep, I second a bit of gentle exercise to keep things moving - walking, swimming, gentle twists from one side to the other...
Hope you feel better soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now