Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bleeding at 5 weeks. Advice?

(17 Posts)
AmelieRose Wed 28-Nov-12 16:48:14

I am 5 weeks pregnant, very early I know, but am a bit concerned about bleeding.
I have been spotting (this is normal for me) but have just been to the loo and there's a little bit more than spotting - more brownish blood. Not loads, but enough to make me worried. Is this a sign of a miscarriage? I've not really had any cramping, have been feeling much more sick and tired this week than last week though.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

AmelieRose Wed 28-Nov-12 17:09:15

Bump

looneytune Wed 28-Nov-12 17:15:59

Sorry to hear about your bleeding, you will get missed replies on here, it can be a sign of miscarriage and can also be totally normal (some get implantation bleeding, others have big bleeds that are never explained but baby is fine). The fact it's a brownish blood is certainly a better sign that bright red bleeding. You could call the EPU for advice and they may scan you although at this early stage, they wouldn't necessarily be able to confirm either way and may ask you to go back for another scan a couple of weeks later (I had this).

Oh and the fact you've been feeling more sick and tired is actually a good sign so fingers crossed it's nothing to worry about.

Good luck and call EPU if you're worried x

milb1 Wed 28-Nov-12 17:17:19

I would go to the docs. Although they probably can't do anything it's good to inform them. Lots of people get spotting in pregnancy and everything is ok. If you get cramps and bleeding becomes worse (like a period or heavier), thats when there could be problems

PickleSarnie Wed 28-Nov-12 17:19:29

Sorry you're having to go through this stress.

I've been pregnant 4 times and bled everytime. I've had two miscarriages and two healthy babies. So bleeding might mean the worst but equally everything may be fine.

With my two miscarriages I had loads of cramping and none the other two times so its good you've had no cramping.

Will have everything crossed for you!

looneytune Wed 28-Nov-12 17:23:27

I agree about the cramping, I had cramping when I miscarried but none when I had my bleed with ds2.

AmelieRose Wed 28-Nov-12 17:38:29

Thanks so much everyone. I've been to the loo again and not as much blood this time. I have an appointment at the doctor's on Friday so think I'll keep an eye on things and see how I go.

It's even more confusing as I've had two positive test results, even though my period isn't due for about a week and a half - I only tested because I was feeling so yucky and tired and couldn't think of another explanation. Also I did two tests (negative) a fortnight ago when I thought I was having implantation bleeding.

I need to stop working myself up and try to be calm about it. I'm just so excited and every little thing is making me panic! Lovely to hear about others' experiences, even just for reassurance.

MummytoKatie Wed 28-Nov-12 20:35:53

A very similar thing happened to me. Called the doctor who referred me to the EPU. They waited a few days to give me a chance to get bigger then scanned. Found a sac and yolk sac but no fetal pole or heartbeat. Due to the size of the sac it was likely but not certain I'd miscarried.

Had to wait for the longest 2 weeks of my life for another scan. Where they found a heartbeat. smile

I'm 14 weeks now and having my 12 week scan tomorrow and definitely have a solidness in my stomach so I am pretty hopeful.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

chocolateteabag Wed 28-Nov-12 20:47:29

Hi OP I have had bleeds similar to yours and had an early scan at EPU on Tue, bean was there but small.

The sonographer told me that the progesterone hormone makes your cervix more susceptible to grazes which will bleed ESP when you have a big bowel movement. This really helped me just to have a reason for the bleeds, but they are still horrid and scary.

I would ring your EPU if you have another and see if they will offer you an early scan ( but you won't see much before 6-7 weeks)

Jokat Wed 28-Nov-12 21:15:24

Hey, I started bleeding at what turned out to be 5+6ish. It was brown blood and not a lot and went on for just under a week, without cramping. And my baby was fine smile
Good luck to you, it's great that the blood is not bright red and there's no cramping.

AmelieRose Thu 29-Nov-12 06:48:59

Thanks again everyone. Chocolateteabag that might make sense - I have an IBD condition that is slightly in flare at the minute, so perhaps the bleeding may be associated with that. Perhaps I'm clutching at straws...Keep your fingers crossed for me everyone!

Marmiteisyummy Thu 29-Nov-12 06:53:59

Just to echo everyone, that bleeding doesn't have to mean the worst and wish you luck.
Think you're probably a month further on than you think though. Tests only usually become positive 3-4 days after implantation, and if you're not due your period for another week and a half I'd guess you conceived last cycle, so may be 9 weeks rather than 5. If nothing else you should get an earlier scan!

Good luck.

AmelieRose Thu 29-Nov-12 06:57:34

Marmiteisyummy I have to admit I have my suspicions about that too. My cycle is usually as regular as clockwork then this month completely bonkers. When I looked at dates etc of when we could have conceived things didn't add up...so perhaps it is later than I think. All so confusing!

phoenixrose314 Thu 29-Nov-12 07:07:10

It's not always a reason to worry - I bled on and off for the first 11 weeks of my pregnancy, and I panicked every time, but it was just implantation bleeding.

When I mentioned my worries to the midwife who called to arrange my booking appointment, she got me in for an early scan (at 7 weeks) the very next day. They're usually pretty good with offering them to women who are panicking a bit (I'd had a few MCs before this so more worried than most!), so if you really feel you need reassurance you can ask them if they could set up an early scan for you.

Hope all goes well, do keep us updated smile

worsestershiresauce Thu 29-Nov-12 09:28:02

It isn't unusual to have a small bleed when your period would otherwise have been. I had this for the first 3 months - scared me stupid, but all was fine. I hope all is well.

AmelieRose Fri 30-Nov-12 18:21:49

I went to the doctor's today and she told me I'm actually 6 weeks pregnant. Phoned the EPU and they advised me to do another test on Tuesday, and if it was still positive then to call back and they would arrange a scan. Tuesday seems so long away...

SunshinePanda Fri 30-Nov-12 18:28:57

If it is brownish blood it is likely to be cervical erosion so although it sounds yuk is not a risk for anything. I had this with second pregnancy and everything was OK. It is not the same as a miscarriage with fresh red blood. I know it's hard but try not to worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now