Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Amoxicillin in pregnancy

(17 Posts)
Pontouf Wed 28-Nov-12 14:30:18

I am 21+4 and have a horrible chest infection. I went to my GP last night mainly just to get a sick note for work but he listened to my chest and said he would strongly recommend antibiotics (I'm also asthmatic).

The thing is the surgery was running over an hour late (my appointment was 5.20pm and I went in at 6.35pm angry ) He is not my usual Dr and was very brusque and I got the feeling he wasn't really giving me his full attention and was trying to rush me out of the door. It took me two attempts to persuade him to give me a sick note. I told him I was pregnant and he just nodded and gave me a prescription or amoxicillin.

When I went to collect the prescription I asked the pharmacist if amoxicillin was ok for pregnant women and he said it's only recommended if the Dr considers it vital to the mother's health. The leaflet in with the drugs say not to take it if pregnant, TTC or breast feeding.

I feel like death on a stick and I realise that the baby continuing to get oxygen from me is pretty important but am worried about side effects. I can't really find anything specific on Dr Google. Does anyone have any concrete knowledge on whether I am ok to take it/advice for me. Is it reasonable to ring the midwife team (really just for emergencies/triage)?

Pontouf Wed 28-Nov-12 14:31:56

I have also posted in chat.

StrawberrytallCAKE Wed 28-Nov-12 14:32:17

I've taken it twice this pregnancy. Once for a chest infection and last week for a uti. Tbh I didn't question it as the dr knew very well I was pregnant and was asking me how far I was gone.

Pontouf Wed 28-Nov-12 14:37:19

Thanks Strawberry, that's a relief smile

tasmaniandevilchaser Wed 28-Nov-12 14:37:37

I've had shed loads of amoxycillin this pg, all docs and nurses said it was fine. I completely understand your worry, I nearly had an anxiety attack when I read the blurb about another antibiotic I had at the same time. I had pneumonia because I didn't get treatment for a chest infection. I ended up in hospital on an antibiotic drip (of penicillin) having chest X-rays, it was awful. And i had to have antibiotics which had the horrible blurb about what it does to rat babies. I've had a month off work so far and I'm still not right. I would take them without hesitation personally, having experienced what happens when you don't get things sorted.

yellowbananas Wed 28-Nov-12 14:44:26

Hi there Pontouf. I've just taken a course of amoxicillin for a chest infection and am 11 weeks pregnant. The Dr and pharmacist both agreed that it was safe to take during pregnancy. Unfortunately, my chest infection hasn't improved and I've now got pleurisy and have been prescribed another antibiotic (klaricid) which I'm not too sure about so am waiting to hear back from the midwife. I would take the amoxicillin and try to get better asap. I hope you feel better soon too tasmanian - you poor thing, sounds awful!

StrawberrytallCAKE Wed 28-Nov-12 14:45:54

Good smile hope you feel better soon!!

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 28-Nov-12 14:48:05

I took loads last pregnancy and have already had some this pregnancy, they are not too keen on you having steroids but can't remember the reason but you can still have them. Antibiotics are definitely ok. Hope you feel better soon.

tasmaniandevilchaser Wed 28-Nov-12 14:50:08

Thanks yellow, there's loads of us poorly pg women! I never had so much as a cold with my DD. pontouf, hope you're feeling better soon.

Pontouf Wed 28-Nov-12 14:52:10

Thanks everyone. I am just so scared of doing something to harm the baby or putting my needs before the baby's inadvertently. I've had two mc and this baby is pretty precious (as of course all babies are!)

Pontouf Wed 28-Nov-12 14:53:56

Hope everyone feels better soon smile

2blessed Wed 28-Nov-12 14:54:43

I took a 7 day course of amoxycillin for what was probably bronchitis and I was 34 weeks at the time. The GP who prescribed it looks after the antenatal appointments for the surgery and it was fine and I am so much better for it. Get better soon.

tasmaniandevilchaser Wed 28-Nov-12 14:56:53

Oh pontouf, sad me too - a mmc and an ectopic in the last year. I know, these little beans are so precious.

Marmiteisyummy Wed 28-Nov-12 14:57:27

It's as safe an antibiotic as you can find in pregnancy with a good track record and decades of use. Always the risk of allergic reaction etc but no reason not to take in Pregnancy. Far more likely you will cause harm to yourself and therefore baby by not treating an active chest infection.
I've had amoxycillin in my previous pregnancy for a chest infection, didn't hesitate. Also a doctor.

Pontouf Wed 28-Nov-12 14:59:23

Thank you. Pretty confident about an allergic reaction as I've had it lot f time in the past (was a fairly sickly child!) although I know you can develop an allergy later. All good to know, thanks.

rogersmellyonthetelly Wed 28-Nov-12 17:39:52

Another one with multiple courses of amoxycillin here, at 5 weeks, 11 weeks and 15 weeks for a tooth abcess that wouldn't go away, then co-amoxiclav at 16 weeks which finally got rid of it. Another 2 courses at 22/23 weeks for a chest infection that wouldn't budge. Several courses of cefalexin too for Utis.

eltsihT Wed 28-Nov-12 19:06:40

I am allergic to amoxicillin, my gp helpfully told me I should take when I needed antibiotics as it was safer in pregnancy than the other ones, I politely declined and risked erythromycin!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: