Talk

Advanced search

45 and pregnant!

(11 Posts)
Arranoxford Wed 28-Nov-12 13:40:21

Hello there.

I am three months pregnant and have just had a good nuchal scan and I am awaiting bloods for the "risk" to be calculated. I had heavy bleeding at 8 weeks but the baby is growing.

Are there any other older mothers who are worried about the risks of amnio.
I had a c section for my daughter in 2001 and they are trying to persuade me to go for a natural delivery. Is this a good idea?
Any thoughts on any of these topics. I need to share as I have not told my friends and family yet. All comments appeciated.

warmest

C

MustafaCake Wed 28-Nov-12 13:54:36

Congratulations Arran!

Good news about your nuchal scan aswell. I had DS2 at 38 and was v worried about test results. In the end it was 1/250 risk of DS so not much higher than the 1/300 odd for DS2 who I had when I was a spring chicken (33!). I also had heavy bleeding throughout the 1st trimester but DS2 is now a healthy 10 month old.

If everything is well, there is no reason not to have a normal vaginal delivery after having a C Section so long ago. But you have ages to go yet and birth decisions will be made nearer the time (so if baby is breech or something like that you may have to have a section anyway).

Good luck for a happy and healthy pregnancy!

MissWooWoo Wed 28-Nov-12 14:10:46

a friend of mine had a natural delivery earlier this year aged 43, she'd had a c section in 2006.

CONGRATULATIONS!

2blessed Wed 28-Nov-12 14:57:28

I'm only in my 30's but sw the title of the thread and had to come on to congratulate you!

montysma1 Wed 28-Nov-12 17:27:52

I had twins at 43 and in January had another surprise baby at 45 and 3/4s !!

My hospital doesnt offer nuchal for singletons and as I knew the bloods alone would probably come in high risk, I opted to go straight for amnio. It was pretty painless, straightforward, and very reasurring.

Uncomplicated pregnancy, but they suggested another section due to my age, previous section etc, and I was more than happy to go with that. She was born at 38 weeks as although all was well, they didnt seem to want to prolong things and take any risks that didnt need to be taken. Again I was fine with that. Straightforward op, quick recovery and perfect baby!

Try not to worry too much, stats are frightening, but in fact most old mum go on to have healthy babies in spite of what people would have you think.

BadMissM Wed 28-Nov-12 18:24:04

Me too....but only about 6 weeks. Terrified and elated simultaneously!

lotsofcheese Wed 28-Nov-12 18:46:51

Congratulations! I'm a mere 40 year old!! My Down's risk came back as 1:357 - brilliant for my age (average is 1:96 for my age).

I've decided to go for an amnio anyway, for peace of mind (I hope).

I'm expecting another Caesarian again, having had one with DS. Don't really give a stuff about how I give birth & am very anxious about going beyond term (if I make it that far...)

There are lovely ladies on the Pregnancy over 40 thread - come & join us!!!!

worsestershiresauce Wed 28-Nov-12 18:48:34

Congrats! I'm 40 and after a good nuchal scan decided against further testing. I did not feel an amnio was necessary given the low risk level suggested by the scan. I saw an experienced consultant and was reassured by him that this was a good decision. I am also hoping for a natural delivery, and hope nature works with me on that!

BadMissM Wed 28-Nov-12 19:44:37

Thanks lotsofcheese. I had an amnio 3 pregnancies ago, and it wasn't good... I lost the baby. It wasn't the amnio per se, just that someone buggered it up. Then it turned out that the blood test which led to it had been wrong too....grrrr! That said, I'd still do it again. My mum was a guinea-pig for amnio when it first came out.smile

Have popped in and looked at the pregnancy over 40 thread..interesting reading!

worsestershiresauce Haven't actually encountered Nuchal scans....my last experience was a while ago! But will bear it in mind too!

Arranoxford Fri 30-Nov-12 21:09:46

Just found out about the Harmony Test. Take a look. x

BadMissM Fri 07-Dec-12 19:45:23

OOH! Sounds really good. Question now is, where the hell I can get one in the UK, and how much?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now