Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sudden onset of vomiting at 15 weeks

(5 Posts)
delurked Mon 26-Nov-12 16:03:03

Between weeks 7-12 of my pregnancy I suffered from what I would call "normal" morning sickness - luckily no actual vomiting but constant nausea, off my food etc. From about 11 weeks it started to lift and since 14 wks I have been feeling pretty much back to normal.

Today (15 weeks) I have been vomiting every 2-3 hours since I woke up. I have not been able to keep anything down (have been sipping lucozade to try to stay hydrated but just chucked it all up). Don't think it is something I ate so my thinking is that is most likely some kind of vomiting bug.

I am a bit worried about the effects of dehydration on the baby as I have read that things can start to go downhill very quickly. If I pick up in the next 6 hours or so then that should be fine, but at what stage should I start to think about seeking medical attention? I am thinking that if I still haven't kept anything down by tomorrow morning (by which stage I will have gone nearly 36 hours without fluids) I should do something. Does this sound sensible and who should I call? Doctor/ midwife?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

babybythesea Mon 26-Nov-12 16:59:27

It sounds perfectly sensible to me - and I'd call the midwife as a starting point.

I was about 15 weeks when I had one hell of a migraine. Couldn't keep anything down, including water, and brain crushing headache to boot.
I phoned the maternity unit (wasn't in England so things done slightly differently but it was how you got in touch with midwives) and was told to come in ASAP (found out afterwards they were worried about blood pressure rather than dehydration or anything, although my main worry had been dehydration).
They gave me something to deal with the pain and left me to sleep (once they had established it wasn't anything serious). Then they tested my blood and urine and said "You appear to be deydrated - we won't send you home until things are more normal" so I was put on a drip and kept in overnight, so they took the dehydration very seriously, even though I assured them that once the migraine had gone I would be able to keep stuff down and would be back to normal very quickly. They also did heart rate checks on the baby to make sure it wasn't affected at all. It wasn't - baby is now a very active 3 year old!

I'd make the call on the basis that they can always tell you it's nothing to worry about which will take less than a few seconds. On the other hand, they can't help you if it should be taken seriously but you don't tell them.

delurked Mon 26-Nov-12 17:36:22

Thanks for replying babybythesea. Have just heard from my husband who went away with work yesterday and he has been ill too so am fairly sure it is a bug that will hopefully pass before too long. But if not I will def give the midwife a call tomorrow.

katesav87 Mon 26-Nov-12 18:57:23

Hey I had a bug at 13 weeks from the time I woke up I was sick 11 times so called the Docter that eve and went to see him and he tested my urine and I was severely dehydrated so sent to hospital and put on a drip!! Keep an eye on it cos it took 11 hours for me to go from ok to dehydrated which is dangerous in pregnancy. I too couldn't keep n e thing including water down. Xx

Bunnychan Mon 26-Nov-12 19:43:04

I had a sickness bug at 11 weeks- I couldn't keep anything down even sips of water. It was in the night and I had been up since six am so I was too exhausted to throw up but still did. The sickness did stop about 12 hours later but my stomach was in agony so I phoned the doc. She didn't seem too worried and told me to rest and drink lemonade. She also told me to take paracetamol for the pain. I felt better after speaking to her so I would phone someone even just to put your mind at ease. I hope you feel better soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now