Talk

Advanced search

Moving home

(7 Posts)
Pritchyx Sat 24-Nov-12 14:00:16

Been to see a few letting agents today, viewed a few flats, and fell in love with a top floor 2 bedroom flat in a low-rise... However, the landlord doesn't want children present in the flat or present on the day we move in. However, there was no rule about having them once were in.
I'm nearly 16 weeks pregnant so I need too really be in somewhere as soon as so I'm settled before the baby arrives.
Do we go for it, as it's within our price range, has everything we need, local to our work, and in the middle of both sets of families as well as being the nicest and most affordable we've seen...
Help sad

Ellypoo Sat 24-Nov-12 14:10:01

Why on earth do they not want you to have children present on the day that you move? What has it got to do with him if you have your DC with you in your flat while you start unpacking while others are doing the moving?

Kafri Sat 24-Nov-12 14:21:12

I get a sneaky suspicion if he doesn't want children there when u move in, he will make life difficult for you after the birth to try to push you out (all 'legally' of course in order to not land himself in trouble). Possibly even more so if heroes the maths and works out you were (and knew you were) pg when you took the flat. I may be barking up wrong tree but I'm going off a landlord I know (a friends relative) who can be really awkward when he wants to be but makes sure he's not breaking any rules in the process!

Kafri Sat 24-Nov-12 14:22:35

Heroes = he does! Damned auto correct!

crunchingautumnleaves Sat 24-Nov-12 14:35:40

Contact the letting agent & get it in writing & in contract if you go for it that children are allowed to live there. I wonder whether the issue of the moving in day is confused with the day landlord hands over the keys/goes over inventory. Perhaps the landlord may have problems concentrating with children around? It's a wild guess though. I think more likely is he doesn't want children living there. A number of rental properties have this, something to do with insurance I heard, probably cheaper if no children involved. Definitely go to letting agent for further clarification & always get stuff in writing. First, before paying holding deposit/handling fees to agents (then if it changes you may be in a better position to claim money back from them). Second, make sure it's in contract before paying rent & deposit on the property.

Pritchyx Sat 24-Nov-12 15:00:03

It's made it difficult as we don't like any of the other properties, and they're a lot higher budget! My sister lives in a separate block on the same road on the top floor but she can have children there... I don't understand why not. Is it worth getting the landlords number and contacting him directly?
We've took the paperwork away but we don't want to look at it until everything is sorted!
And as I'm getting bigger, I can't keep getting up and rushing about doing all the work, as well as preferably being in before March to give us enough time to settle.

It's so difficult sad

Ellypoo Sat 24-Nov-12 15:03:50

Try to get the landlords number and discuss it with him directly, but make sure that you have it in writing that children are allowed, don't just take his word for it. If you have the paperwork, read through it and see what it says about children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now