Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Who has lost weight/or hardly put any on in pregnancy?

(11 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Fri 23-Nov-12 13:39:21

I'm 30 weeks pregnant, before I was overweight- my bmi was 31 (although I am very tall and broad so wasn't necessary fat just big). In my pregnancy I lost a couple pounds early on through morning sickness and now at 30 weeks I've gained 5 pounds during pregnancy is this ok? I was weighed at booking and again a few weeks ago but Mw wasn't concerned.
Is this weight gain about right as I was big to start with?
Did you lose or only put a few pounds on?

MightBeMad Fri 23-Nov-12 13:45:37

Not a doctor, but sounds perfect to me. You're clearly eating healthily and taking good care of yourself and your baby. As long as your bump measurements are progressing as they should and mw is happy then don't worry! Give yourself a pat on the back. grin

angeltattoo Fri 23-Nov-12 13:47:07

Hi,

Starting BMI of 31 here too, and 20 weeks today.

At first I lost about 5lbs, and have only put on 1.5 since, so still weigh less than before I was pregnant. Hoping I don't put too much on!

think lack of wine consumption is helping

RightUpMyRue Fri 23-Nov-12 13:50:20

I lost half a stone in the 1st trimester but have put it back on in the 2nd. Currently 21 weeks so still have a while to go and could possibly put on a lot more but thinking back to my 1st pregnancy by this stage I had put on something ridiculous like 3 stone!

Some very overweight women can lose weight all through their PG and end up lighter than when they started. It can only be a good thing to lower a BMI which is too big. So long as your baby is growing and developing well and your midwife is unconcerned then be pleased you'll not have much baby weight to lose smile

Mrsb999 Fri 23-Nov-12 14:30:05

I'm 23 weeks on Sunday and I am still 4.5 lbs lighter than before I got pregnant because I lost 11.5 in my first trimester due to Hyperemesis.

I'm eating fine now but still not as much as pre preg (which was to be honest too much - I'm only 5ft 3 and was 13st 7). I also think it's due to lack of alcohol - say I drank 2 bottles of wine a week, that's approx 1200 cals!

My midwife isn't concerned - I'm just waiting for my luck to change and for me to pile about 3 stone on in the remaining 17+ weeks!

Mrsb999 Fri 23-Nov-12 14:32:54

angeltattoo I'm so with you on the reduced wine consumption = weight loss!

Drmcdreamyswife Fri 23-Nov-12 14:38:31

I lost 2 stone in the first 4 months due to sickness. Put this back on by 39 weeks then had baby and lost an immediate stone. Now 10 weeks after giving birth I am still losing weight... Breastfeeding and epic long walks with bubs. My sister is ridiculously jealous as she put on over 4 stone while pregnant and it took her a year to lose it!

StiffyByng Fri 23-Nov-12 14:42:07

I had a starting BMI of about 32 both times. First pregnancy I ended up a stone lighter at full term than when I got pregnant (although I didn't actually lose any more when the baby was born confused. The midwives were thrilled and the baby was 9lbs. Sadly hearty post-natal cake eating meant that the weight didn't stay off. This time I've so far lost over half a stone (16 weeks) and hoping to repeat the feat and this time not succumb to cakes. I definitely eat a lot less when pregnant and my metabolism also kicks into gear I think.

Sleepstarved Fri 23-Nov-12 15:06:42

There was quite a lot of criticism of NICE because they failed to say how much weight women should and shouldn't gain according to BMI pre-pregnancy when they put out new guidelines.
There are American ones though: "The amount of weight you should gain depends on your weight and BMI (body mass index) before pregnancy. You should gain:
25-35 pounds if you were a healthy weight before pregnancy, with a BMI of 18.5-24.9.
28-40 pounds if you were underweight before pregnancy with a BMI of less than 18.5.
15-25 pounds if you were overweight before pregnancy with a BMI of 25-29.9.
11-20 pounds if you were obese before pregnancy with a BMI of over 30.
Healthy weight before pregnancy:
■1-4.5 pounds during the first trimester
■Approximately 1-2 pounds per week in the second trimester
■Approximately 1-2 pounds per week in the third trimester

Having said that I had a BMI of 21/22 pre first pregnancy and put on 14kgs which was quite a lot.
Am 22 weeks now and have put on almost 6kgs so far.

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Fri 23-Nov-12 15:43:16

I'm 16 weeks and have lost over 2 stone in that time. Not through sickness, just through changes in appetite. But I do have a lot to lose so it's all good.

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 23-Nov-12 16:05:36

Thanks all feeling good reading your comments back. I'm hoping to lose the weight I should have lost before pregnancy once baby arrives hoping between breast feeding and sticking to sensible eating it will come off smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now