Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Rules about elective c-sections and inductions?

(8 Posts)
cookiewuk Thu 22-Nov-12 13:46:29

Im looking to find out what the guidelines are with regards to asking for your baby to be induced or delivered by c-section? I realised today that if I go 2 wks past my due date that my baby would be born on my brothers birthday. I really do not want this to be the case as my brother passed away very suddenly and in tragic circumstances at the beginning of this year. I am worried that the grief of my family will overshadow my child's bday every year.
So firstly am I right in believing that normally they wait 2 weeks before inducing a baby? And second can i ask for this to happen earlier?
Thank you for your advice

Emsyboo Thu 22-Nov-12 14:49:55

Sorry to hear about your brother.
I don't know much about the rules but I was induced and it took 4 days from starting to finish and if there are any emergencies they will not induce you if not necessary, perhaps ask the questions and explain your circumstances they sometimes induce earlier - I was induced at 39 weeks but that was due to complications but was already booked in for a sweep at 39 weeks since we weren't 100% sure on dates and he was a big baby.
You can ask but be prepared that emergencies will take priority and people who are well over their dates and will make sure its safe for you than the baby rather than what date it is.
Sorry couldn't help as I said I don't know so hopefully someone else will give you better advice and hopefully more positive x x

BuddyTheChristmasElf Thu 22-Nov-12 14:52:05

where does the weekend fall? if your brother's birthday falls on the weekend then they'll most likely book any elective ops for the fri or mon not sat or sun?

OwlLady Thu 22-Nov-12 14:55:07

I do understand how you feel and I am very sorry about your brother, I lost my own sister some years ago now and I completely understand how confusing this is for you. However, I think you should ask to be referred to a obstetrician to discuss your worries about this and to seek reassurance off them. It is really unlikely you will have the baby two weeks after you are due. I also think it might be worth you speaking to someone about your own grief?

wrt the induction, I don't know what the statistics are but ime you usually don't have the baby the same day (I was induced for days, not sure whether it's common though)

cookiewuk Thu 22-Nov-12 20:06:32

Thank you for your replies. I am going to try to talk to someone about it but i just know I'll get hugely upset and will obvs be very embarrassed by that sad I didnt realise it can take days when your induced as I was induced with dc1 at 6am and delivered at 3.15pm. I really hope i don't go over with dc2 but its just really worrying me now.

TwitchyTail Thu 22-Nov-12 23:24:19

I am sorry about your brother. Yes, you can certainly ask to be induced on a different day, especially in light of your circumstances. Hospitals vary in their policies anyway, from 10 days to 14 days overdue, and there is a degree of flexibility.

You would be very unlikely to get an elective C-section on such grounds though, and I personally would not opt for surgery on that basis (and I say that as someone who may well be having an elective C-section).

OwlLady Fri 23-Nov-12 09:42:42

Please don't be embarrassed about getting upset, grief is completely normal. You have lost someone you love and your are having to deal with your own grief, that of your parents and other family and you are also having to be someone's Mother and carry on relatively as normal. Go to the GP if you feel you need to talk someone, or there is Cruse (Cruise?) bereavement care who offer counselling or just a friendly ear

kittyhello88 Fri 30-Nov-12 06:49:36

The good way to see this is life giveth and life taketh away and this baby is your little miracle of new life however I do understand how sensitive the circumstances must be for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now