Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Where is the best place for your waters to break...

(25 Posts)
DiamondsAndDaisychains Wed 21-Nov-12 11:01:35

I'm 40 weeks plus five days... yes, sigh!
Someone told me that if my waters break in Waitrose I'll get a year's worth or groceries for free!! So I'm thinking of wandering the isles for the next few days- there's even a coffee shop in our local one, so it needn't be too tough... before I head off though, I'm wondering if anyone knows anywhere better to set up camp??? Can someone out do a year's worth of free groceries?? x

mmmnoodlesoup Wed 21-Nov-12 11:02:56

I think John Lewis give you a big hamper of stuff, same company though. I was thinking of going for a wander around there when I'm due!

Trishstar Wed 21-Nov-12 11:06:10

Wow didn't know things like this happened! I will bear it in mind for April!!! xxx

NoTeaForMe Wed 21-Nov-12 11:11:48

I thought that most places didn't do that anymore? I know most supermarkets used to-sometimes free nappies. Not sure. Good luck!

rogersmellyonthetelly Wed 21-Nov-12 11:43:57

In the hospital where you don't have to worry about walking round looking like you have pissed yourself, and even better, someone else clears it up.

cloudpuff Wed 21-Nov-12 11:57:56

I always thought the years worth of free stuff was an urban legend.
My waters broke on the delivery table with my legs in the air and hit the poor student who was writing up her paperwork for the midwife, mortifying. She said not worry but still....

sausagesandwich34 Wed 21-Nov-12 11:59:33

mine broke on the toilet -increddibly convienient!

however I have also heard that waitrose is the best place if you are happy to let go in public grin

berri Thu 22-Nov-12 00:07:45

Mine went in the shower - perfect!

ProcrastinatingPanda Thu 22-Nov-12 00:09:24

The bath?

It was rumoured ages ago that if your waters broke in mothercare that they'd give you free baby stuff.

bonnymiffy Thu 22-Nov-12 16:33:18

Love this thread, I'm 37+3 and have been wondering out loud in every shop I've been into in the last couple of days - including Travis Perkins, DH was mortified! I'm booked in for a CS next week so it's unlikely my waters will break anywhere other than the operating table but I'd love to hear of someone being offered something other than a bill for cleaning!!

Havingkittens Thu 22-Nov-12 16:43:32

Myself and OH have been asked to sole guests and witnesses at a good friend's registry wedding (they're having the proper wedding abroad) a week before my due date. If my waters go then it will certainly make it a day to remember grin

DinosaursOnAnAdventCalender Thu 22-Nov-12 16:49:30

My ex had 'his' sofa. The dc and I weren't allowed to sit on it incase we made it sag or put germs on it or something ridiculous like that I used to positively encourage his dog to climb on it when he was out though

It was the comfiest seat in the house and I had a strip over it one evening and announced it was my bloody house and I'd sit where I liked.... Pointedly plonked myself down on it and my waters broke spectacularly all over it.

grin

worldgonecrazy Thu 22-Nov-12 16:50:24

Mine also went on the toilet, which was a good thing. However, what the books don't tell you is that sometimes there isn't one "whoosh". I drenched two bath towels, a hand towel, and countless pads within the first two hours.

DinosaursOnAnAdventCalender Thu 22-Nov-12 16:51:26

Had a strop - I didn't strip over his sofa!

IBlameThePenguins Thu 22-Nov-12 16:52:01

Mine broke all over DH's head as he tried to help me get my knickers on... No free hamper, but it did provide me with some light relief!

berri Thu 22-Nov-12 16:58:22

dinosaurs that's SO funny, especially as I had a vision of you being heavily pg deciding to do a strip!

DinosaursOnAnAdventCalender Thu 22-Nov-12 17:05:58

I made the same mistake as WorldGoneCrazy - I didn't realise how much water there would be. Took my trousers off and was sat in just a big t shirt and had another huge gush of waters all over his sofa .

stargirl1701 Thu 22-Nov-12 17:06:39

Mine didn't break till the second last push. In the birth pool...lots of water grin

Binfullofgibletsonthe26th Thu 22-Nov-12 17:07:22

M&S do something similar too?

ProcrastinatingPanda Thu 22-Nov-12 17:16:04

dinosaur that is hilarious! grin

noblegiraffe Fri 23-Nov-12 07:26:54

Mine broke at home, in the car on the way to the hospital, in the hospital waiting room, in the hospital canteen, back in the hospital cubicle and on and on and on. They started breaking at 10am and I was still getting gushes at 5pm when I stood up.

So I wouldn't recommend anywhere particularly public.

DontmindifIdo Fri 23-Nov-12 07:32:05

Mine broke in the shower, I didn't get any free stuff but I could just turn the shower on to clean it all up.

Runningblue Fri 23-Nov-12 08:18:13

If mine just break this time with no help, I would be thrilled!

Last time it was in the course of a v slow labour in hospital performed by a random woman with a crochet hook- she could have been a midwife, cleaner or just a passer by, she just appeared,never introduced herself, just did the deed, and we never saw her again confused

But hey ho, it moved things along a bit!

AmandaCooper Mon 26-Nov-12 21:12:40

Hmm I wonder if you could fake it...

Shaiandbump Mon 26-Nov-12 21:38:30

Wouldn't want my waters to break in public, last time my waters broke and then my DS Followed 4 mins later, couldn't imagine giving birth down the sweet aisle in tesco

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: