Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Slapped cheek - GAH!

(6 Posts)
Pontouf Tue 20-Nov-12 16:38:58

Discovered last night that my 2yo DS has slapped cheek disease. I am 20 weeks pregnant. I thought i'd heard that it was dangerous for unborn babies so I cranked up Dr Google and am now armed with a fair amount of info. I went to my GP today who didn't seem to know anything about it. He had to google as well. He has sent me for a blood test to see if I am immune to it. He also said I should avoid contact with my son until I get the results back - Thursday at the earliest! The info I have read suggests that the risk to foetuses drops off massively after 20 weeks.

I rang my midwife for advice and she said that it is highly unlikely that I haven't been exposed in the past anD that I am therefore probably immune. (My Mum childminded when I was growing up and cared for several children with slapped cheek.) I can send my little boy to my Mum's but he is very clingy at the moment and I think he'll be upset about it, especially while he's feeling poorly. I don't want to risk the health of my DC2 but banishing my son for two-three days seems extreme, especially when in all likelihood I am immune anyway.

Do you think I'm being reasonable in keeping my son with me despite his illness?

beckslovestimmy Tue 20-Nov-12 16:43:06

My GP said people are only contagious 14 days before they develop the rash. If your son has the rash now there's no point sending him away? Hope your immune! X

Pontouf Tue 20-Nov-12 16:50:51

That's what I thought too. Had the blood test today so fingers crossed. I think the likelihood of me not being immune is very low anyway.

birdbrain17 Tue 20-Nov-12 16:55:58

When I was 10 weeks it went round the school I work in. I went home till I could find out if I was immune but my friend who was 20 weeks didn't as apparently you are only really at risk from 10-20 weeks...

Nicky1306 Tue 20-Nov-12 17:07:30

If he has the rash he is no longer contagious, DD was at school with the rash! It was before it came out and was off ( not that we knew she had it, we just thought she was under the weather!) x

Pontouf Tue 20-Nov-12 17:14:06

Thanks everyone. From a purely selfish point of view I don't want my son to go to my Mum's because I'll miss him! DS has been poorly for a couple of weeks but the rash only came up yesterday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now