We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Going to a spa - 8 wks - what can i do/have?

(19 Posts)
Quinandthem Tue 20-Nov-12 13:03:38

Hi girls,

I’m lucky enough to be going to a spa tomorrow with my mum for our birthdays. It was booked before she knew I was pregnant and now I’m wondering what treatments I can have.

I’m 8 weeks and I know you can’t use the hot tub, sauna (because you get too hot) and I know you can’t have a back massage.

So ladies of MN – what can I do/have or will I be eating carrot sticks by the pool all day? (Haven’t been to a spa so don’t know what you would normally do).

Thanks for your help

emeraldgirl1 Tue 20-Nov-12 13:06:25

Oh dear, I fear you can't do much (though you'll still have a lovely time!)

I did this with my friend when 9 weeks (booked before I knew I was pg) and was very limited. They wouldn't even give me a pedicure at this partic place as it 'might have placed pressure on some reflexology zones' - they can be v risk averse. I had a nice manicure though and a head massage/facial. Most facials would be OK I think, as long as not using essential oils? No other massages were deemed OK and obviously no body wraps etc.

Have a great day no matter what!

GlaikitFizzog Tue 20-Nov-12 13:06:28

Massage should be ok? I had a mum to be spa day when I was pg and its more to with get oils they use. I was considerably more pg though so I had an upright back rub. If you can still lie on yr tummy no reason why you can't have a back massage.

I would call the spa and ask if they offer any pg treatments.

ISeeSmallPeople Tue 20-Nov-12 13:07:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sleepwhenidie Tue 20-Nov-12 13:07:35

Facial, mani/pedi. Head massage. Just tell them you are pg because some essential oils not suitable. Sounds lovely - enjoy smile

GlaikitFizzog Tue 20-Nov-12 13:08:26

I also had a mud wrap for stretch marks didn't do much good

Sleepwhenidie Tue 20-Nov-12 13:08:27

Massage risky before 12 wks.

Thefoxsbrush Tue 20-Nov-12 13:10:37

Facial or manicure? You can go in the pool but no saunas/hot tubs/steam rooms. It'll be lovely to relax by the pool though. Enjoy! Most mum to be packages are for once you've passed 12 week stage

ZuleikaD Tue 20-Nov-12 13:12:52

Nothing hot, and no massage except maybe head massage. Perhaps a facial and a manicure?

Quinandthem Tue 20-Nov-12 13:41:35

thanks girls

i'm going to tell them once i get there and see what they can do.

sods law that i broke half my nails at the weekend otherwise a mani/pedi would have been nice as it's not something i would do normally.

i think just being off work and relaxing is nice enough

Whathashappenedtomyboobs Tue 20-Nov-12 14:17:28

You can have a full massage when pregnant. I went to the sanctuary and they did a mum to be massage which was lush. They just lay you on your side.
Enjoy x

stowsettler Tue 20-Nov-12 16:33:15

I went in a hot tub at about 12 weeks. I have hotter baths, I'm perfectly capable of gauging when I'm overheating! I asked the GPs about this where I work (I'm a practice manager) and they didn't really know why the guidance re jacuzzis. Saunas, fair enough - but then I hate them anyway.

plonko Tue 20-Nov-12 17:08:20

I had an hour long mum to be massage at 11 weeks. Absolutely amazing, and on a heated bed too. I laid my side for the entire thing, and swapped halfway through. It incorporated a brief foot massage and a facial too. This was followed by an all over body exfoliation with coconut oil and a salt rub. It was by far the best birthday present I've ever had. I shall be going back at around 35 weeks!

Sleepwhenidie Tue 20-Nov-12 17:20:12

I am surprised that they did that at 11 weeks plonko, after 12 weeks is fine and there are some fantastic ones for mums to be, using huge beanbags, or special beds with a hole for your bump, but usually spas will not do risk any body massage before then.

newby2 Tue 20-Nov-12 17:27:12

I went at 12 weeks and had a facial and pedicure with a bit of reiki but want allowed a heated bed and frankly thank goodness. I over-indulged in very rich food which sparked off the morning sickness again!

I was hot a lot of the time and it took a while to get over to be honest so just stay out of hot places is my advice. Oh and have a lovely time!!

ZuleikaD Tue 20-Nov-12 17:37:59

The guidance re hot tubs is usually because they are absolute breeding grounds for very very nasty germs. I worked in a posh establishment (that shall remain nameless) that had sister places all over the country and I can tell you that the water in those things isn't changed for literally months at a time. They just chuck a handful of chemicals in now and then and clean the filter. They really are totally foul - I will never go in a 'public' hot tub again.

lotsofcheese Tue 20-Nov-12 18:11:09

I was refused ANY treatment at a Sheraton spa - they have a blanket policy on not treating women until after 12 week scan.

Bloody ridiculous!! Do they seriously think a pedicure is going to cause a m/c?! Or a massage? It's utter nonsense - the spa's are just covering themselves in case they are sued after a woman miscarries.

I don't think there's any clinical evidence about spa treatments & miscarriage. Or any midwife who will tell you to avoid them.

I had to cancel my treatment & go elsewhere. To another spa which did offer a pedicure during pregnancy.

plonko Tue 20-Nov-12 18:42:54

Hmm Sleep you made me second guess myself! I'm pretty certain it was at 11 weeks - it was definitely pre NT+ scan confused. I've just gone on the spa's website and looked at the packages they offer pregnant ladies - there's one that isn't performed until after the first trimester, but the one I had is "performed on a therapy couch and adapted to each stage of pregnancy".

I'm not sure what super duper insurance premium they pay for this but I certainly enjoyed my day blush

olgaoctopus Wed 21-Nov-12 08:01:37

Depends on how risk averse you are. I went to a spa when I was 9 weeks pregnant and just lied that I was 13 weeks as for some completely bizarre reason most of the treatments were out of bounds before 12 weeks (how is a manicure going to harm the baby?!?). Insurance nonsense gone mad, I think.

I had a facial, mani and pedi and it was lovely. I did also use the sauna, the steam room and jacuzzi but that's because I have some Scandinavian relatives who always laugh at our sauna ban (they continue using them throughout pregnancy, just use common sense and don't sit there for hours frying themselves silly).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now