Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

the difference between hyperemisis and normal morning sickness?

(4 Posts)
elliejjtiny Tue 20-Nov-12 12:53:57

Just curious really as I'm a bit confused. When I was pregnant with DS1 and puking 20+ times a day, the midwife said it was normal, a good sign that baby was doing well etc. Then a friend gets diagnosed with hyperemisis and given tablets because she is puking 3 times a day. So I go to the midwife and she says, no, it's only hyperemisis if you can't keep water down.

I'm now pregnant for the 6th time (3 live births, 2 miscarriages, currently 8 weeks pregnant). I've had various levels of morning sickness. I've had various friends, relatives, random people on forums tell me different definitions of hyperemisis. A couple of people have told me that my current state of constant nausea and dry retching in the mornings is hyperemisis (surely not, I've had much worse with ds1 and ds3). The GP told me that I could have anti-emetics with DS3 at 28 weeks but not earlier because all sickness is normal before that stage (bit late by then hmm).

So somebody settle this once and for all, what is the difference between normal morning sickness and hyperemisis?

chairchairchair Tue 20-Nov-12 13:41:18

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/hyperemesisgravidarum.html

This has quite a good comparison table half way down...

It sounds to me like more than 'normal' morning sickness: 20+ times a day is a lot....

elliejjtiny Tue 20-Nov-12 20:05:44

Thanks. Looks like I had hyperemesis with DS1 and DS3 and just normal morning sickness with the others.

TwitchyTail Tue 20-Nov-12 22:46:03

There are national (NICE) guidelines for diagnosis of hyperemesis based around the effects of vomiting (dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, weight loss etc), which you can find online by Googling, but mostly they aren't followed strictly and it's up to the judgment of the individual doctor or midwife. I was diagnosed with hyperemesis by my GP due to the frequency of the vomiting (15-20x daily at its worst), but I don't think it strictly was - I did manage to keep some food down and maintain my weight, and stayed out of hospital. True hyperemesis will usually require hospital admission and rehydration.

The distinction isn't that important though. If it's impacting severely on your life and your health, get help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now