Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Arrrgh

(7 Posts)
Lamia25 Mon 19-Nov-12 20:53:14

Does anyone else get really overwhelmed by advice, dos and don'ts and media sensationalised horror stories in pregnancy? I am finding it's affecting my stress levels and how much I can enjoy the pregnancy! I feel so responsible for everything I eat, drink or touch and beat myself up for days if I do something I (think I) shouldn't have and convince myself it'll have devastating consequences. Even when risks are low, I somehow convince myself that I'm just another person and why could it not be me! Always glass half empty. I know it's irrational but it's really consuming and draining!

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Mon 19-Nov-12 21:09:18

It is hard work sometimes keeping up with the do's and don'ts. If it's any comfort to you the list of foods to avoid was significantly longer 3 years ago when I was pg with DC1. When I was pg with DC2 this year I was very happy to keep scoffing Stilton! If there's ever a DC3 it might be ok to have Parma ham...

Lamia25 Mon 19-Nov-12 22:28:59

That's the thing, I had parma ham, in Greece earlier this year! Unbeknown to me, at this time, it was a risk- especially in the med! Don't the UK say it's ok but the US say it's a definite no no? That's the other thing, the advice is so inconsistent! It really doesn't help my neuroses and I do feel that as responsible adults, shouldn't it be up to us to be judicious and consider what's suitable to put into our bodies and what isn't. Being pregnant doesn't suddenly make you brainless and lacking in all judgement...does it? I understand the guidance is useless (in moderation) but when it's constant and forced down your throat, it gets tired and more pressuring!

Lamia25 Mon 19-Nov-12 22:29:54

oops, should read 'guidance is useFUL'!

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 20-Nov-12 06:47:52

Exactly. It's a guide, not the Ten Commandments, so relax. Most

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 20-Nov-12 06:51:09

Try again...

Most of the stuff on the list will be fine 99.99% of the time. The only thing which really is a Must Not is liver.

FWIW when I was pg with DC1 the only thing I could eat for about 3 weeks was Parma ham and Boursin sandwiches!

Pancakeflipper Tue 20-Nov-12 06:55:57

I hate to tell you this but pregnancy advice is teeny weeny compared to advice when baby arrives and that continues until the child is about 65yrs old. Do think of this as gentle preparation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now