Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Migraines in pregnancy

(7 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Mon 19-Nov-12 14:29:02

Hi I've always sufferered with v severe migraine but it's been effectively controlled with Topirimate.

I came off the topirimate 2 months ago to TTC. I was doing well, but am now 4 weeks pregnant & today got the mother of all migraines, been sent home from work & feel terrible. Does anyone have any experience of treating migraine in pregnancy? What are we actually able to take for it? Paracetamol just isn't helping! Thanks

sundaesundae Mon 19-Nov-12 14:52:19

You can take codeine, but I'd speak to your GP about it. Lots of water and lying down in a dark room always helped me, but it sounds like you need some proper help, bless you. Congratulations!

diyqueen Mon 19-Nov-12 20:10:51

Poor you, I sympathise as I get bad migraines too and suffered a lot while pregnant with dd. like you, paracetamol did practically nothing (I previously took rizatriptan but can't use that in pregnancy). The gp suggested low dose amitriptyline I think, but I didn't take it as I didn't want to take the risk, and didn't know if it would work anyway. I did take anti sickness drugs that are safe in pregnancy a few times when desperate, can't remember the name of them, which did at least mean I could keep a little water down. I missed a lot of work. It's the thing that scares me most about getting pregnant again, was sheer hell and i have no idea how i'd cope with a toddler to look after too. On a positive note, the migraines disappeared after about week 17, which was such a relief. I've had a few since but not as frequently as before, I wonder if breast feeding is helping? Anyway hope your migraines improve like mine did, go and see your gp and see what they suggest.

forgetmenots Mon 19-Nov-12 21:47:22

God, if I can urge anyone to stay away from amitryptiline I would. Awful, nasty drug in my opinion. I have severe hemiplegic migraines and I've managed to cut out (bit by bit) my meds whilst TTC - and used to treat them with sumatriptan injections - but have had to survive on paracetamol, cool strips, water and dark rooms so far. Only the one and it didn't take root, managed to lie down in the dark in time.
Apparently dehydration is the primary cause of exacerbated migraines in pregnancy, so keep drinking water and the anti sickness tablets smile

BoyMeetsWorld Tue 20-Nov-12 06:53:18

Thanks forgetmenots mine are hemiplegic too...awful. My main concern is ive had 2 now since becoming pg last week, that's 2 days off work sad I work with computers so the lights / screens really don't help. I'll lose my job if it doesn't improve though...

forgetmenots Tue 20-Nov-12 08:39:53

Migraines in chronic form come under the disability act, so make sure you have a chat with your HR or Personnel people to make sure they are aware - mine ended up being really helpful. I've had the overhead lights above my desk turned off, and I work from a laptop so I can move around to different areas when the light is irritating me (I'm guessing like me yours are brought on by photosensitivity?)

Please stay away from Amitryptiline - I was on that as a 'preventative' as I'm asthmatic and so can't take beta blockers or anything like that. This was balanced with the injections and Zomig nasal sprays (very good, but the 'taste' makes you vomit very hard). Amitryptiline is by far the worst though, admittedly I was on a high dose but it is also prescribed for depression and I honestly have never felt worse in my life. I felt like I was walking through treacle and there were days I missed work because I couldn't even move out of bed. Avoid if you can!

I'm worried that they may get worse and there's nothing I can do (mine look very much like a stroke, and I worry that one may 'come on' when I'm out and about). But so far I've been just trying to avoid triggers, and drinking a lot of water, taking breaks, sleeping well etc. I am hoping it pays off smile

Good luck - definitely talk to your work if you haven't already and get them working for you smile

surfingbabies Wed 21-Nov-12 09:58:47

Congrats on being preggers smile
Nothing but sleep works for me, i wouldnt have even been able to drive home from work sad but I have to say over the years I've learnt what triggers them and if I know I'm going to be exposed I take paracetamol before, I also take it if I'm going far from home & I'm going to be alone sad I spoke to my MW & GP and as long as I stick to the correct dosage it will cause no harm to baby. I'm 33 weeks. I'm registered with the migraine trust and I was getting them too much at the beginning of my pregnancy, on the website it suggested eating grapes so I did everyday.......it might be a coincidence but I don't get them as regular now smile
They are the worse thing in the world & hardly anyone seems to appreciate how bad it is unless they suffer themselves sad
Good luck with pregnancy & fingers crossed they will ease up wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now