Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When can/did you feel your baby kick from the outside?

(15 Posts)
Novia Mon 19-Nov-12 13:47:16

I'm 20+3 and have been feeling movement inside for a week or so, but wondering how long until you can feel baby kicking from the outside? Thanks!

TinaMar Mon 19-Nov-12 13:50:51

Hey, Novia, it depends i think. With me it was around the 6 month 1/2, as far as I remember. You'll soon be able to feel it and it's gorgeous! smile) smile

sundaesundae Mon 19-Nov-12 13:57:19

Yesterday at 22+1 I think I felt it from the outside, just the once mind! I have an anterior placenta, so later than most I think?

HermioneE Mon 19-Nov-12 13:57:38

20+3 for me and quite suddenly. One minute it was little flutterings I had to concentrate to feel, the next minute whacking great thumps like someone's taking penalty kicks in there.

HermioneE Mon 19-Nov-12 13:58:03

sorry not 20+3, 23 weeks.

TheBigRazzoo Mon 19-Nov-12 14:02:23

Only after you've given birth. Before then you can only feel it from the inside, aha ha ha. Sorry.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Mon 19-Nov-12 14:03:29

Think I was about 29/30 weeks.

Novia Mon 19-Nov-12 14:08:42

That's ace - thanks everyone! I think DH is feeling a bit left out! grin

TheBigRazzoo Mon 19-Nov-12 14:15:54

Only after you've given birth. Before then you can only feel it from the inside, aha ha ha. Sorry.

TheBigRazzoo Mon 19-Nov-12 14:17:11

Sorry didn't mean to post that twice. Probably wasn't funny the first time round.

glossyflower Mon 19-Nov-12 15:07:06

I felt mine move from the outside 17 weeks...first felt from inside at 11 weeks. Now at 18 weeks, I am feeling distinct kicks on odd occasion, most other movements is just general turning.
My husband was able to feel a slight movement himself just the other day too.

Dogsmom Mon 19-Nov-12 15:16:02

I think it depepnds on how much fat you have on your belly too, I'm a size 14 and could feel her myself at around 21 weeks but it was faint, my husband felt her for the first time on Saturday (24 weeks).

To feel the earlier kicks I laid flat on my back and pressed quite firmly with the palm of my hand.

glossyflower Mon 19-Nov-12 20:55:03

I agree with dogsmom, I had lost weight after having hyperemesis from about 7 weeks and was slim to start off with. Because of that and because I was bed bound a lot, I probably noticed my movement quite early. I also find laying flat on my back and resting my hands (not pressing) on my belly is when I feel it most.
My placenta is anterior but I often feel the baby at either side.

loveschocolate Mon 19-Nov-12 21:20:51

Another one with an anterior placenta so didn't feel movements until approx 21 weeks. DH could feel kicks shortly after (normally size 8 so fairly slim) and baby hasn't stopped kicking since.

Splinters Tue 20-Nov-12 09:55:52

First felt mine with my hands around 17 weeks, then more strong and definite at 19w and DH felt it at 20+1. It was definitely harder for him to feel than for me though, as I was also feeling it from the inside and knew what I was looking for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now