Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bleeding at 17 + 3 - worried :(

(11 Posts)
PandaWatch Mon 19-Nov-12 12:46:15

Long post alert - sorry in advance!

I have had no problems throughout my pregnancy except the usual MS, tiredness and back ache etc. and have not had any spotting whatsoever - no implantation bleeding or anything.

On Saturday morning I got out of bed and every step I took sent a shooting pain just above my pelvis. It was so bad I was literally hobbling to the bathroom but then the pains passed and I was fine all day. At about 7.30pm I went to the loo and had bright red blood on the tissue when I wiped. I would say there was about a teaspoon full of blood altogether. At that point, the pains when I walked started again and, in a bit of a panic, I went to A&E (I was at my parents at the time so not the hospital where I am due to give birth).

I was lucky enough to see an obstetrician about an hour later who listened for a heartbeat and, to my enormous relief, found a nice strong one. She then examined me and said there was only old blood there now. She said there could be any number of reasons for the bleeding but that it wasn't uncommon, although it usually happens earlier in pregnancy. I asked her if the fact there was a strong heartbeat should be reassuring and she said it's not failsafe and unfortunately at this stage they couldn't do anything if anything else happened anyway and I should take it easy for a few days and just go back in if I have more bleeding and then she had to rush off.

Now I understand she was being straight with me but I'm feeling a bit confused about it all and am wondering if I should be doing anything to stop it happening again. Also, are there any ladies who have had bleeding start later on like this who are further into their pregnancies?

Once again, sorry for the epic post!

She told you to take it easy, I think that's the only thing you can do.. old blood is fine, if you bleed again go in even if It's a drop.

I had two little spots of blood and badish pain at 23 weeks I lost my baby boy Riley 36 hours later.. I'm not telling you this to scare you, you can never be to safe :-)

lollypopsicle Mon 19-Nov-12 18:52:38

I had bleeding at 22 weeks last pg. It was bright red, probably about the same amount as you. I also had not had any sort of bleeding previously. Told to come in to hospital. heart beat strong, Doc examined me and said the bleeding had stopped and it was likely cervical erosion which some women 'just have'.
She said it might happen again esp after sex (tho this time was not sex related). It did happen now and again and sex did irritate it. It never lasted or was much in 'quantity'. I gave birth 41+1 to a 9lb bubs that is now a healthy 23mo.

Keep positive as it will likely be fine but do call your midwife if you have similar symptoms again.

AmandinePoulain Mon 19-Nov-12 18:54:24

I had a few small bleeds at 22w. I'm now breastfeeding my 14wo dd2 smile

wewereherefirst Mon 19-Nov-12 19:02:23

I had lots of bleeds during my third pregnancy, in the second and third trimesters and DS2 is now 9 months old and was 9 days overdue. There is nothing you can do bar rest up, take it easy and ring the hospital/go to a&e if it happens again. X

It's a 1% chance if loosing your baby at this stage, So it is rare... try and think positive :-)

cece Mon 19-Nov-12 20:53:53

I would take it easy but she is right there isn't much you can do. I had bleeding at this stage and sadly lost my baby later in the week.

Take care. x

brettgirl2 Mon 19-Nov-12 21:17:41

I had early bleeding with both my pregnancies but with dd2 I had a bleed at 25 weeks. I was petrified at the time as I didnt know anyone else this had happened to. A friend of mine though since also had a bleed at 20 weeks with her 2nd baby. Both of our pregnancies continued fine. Take it easy like you have been told to.

Numbthumbs Mon 19-Nov-12 21:21:37

I have bled every day since I was 18 weeks, lots and lots of blood at times. I have problems with my cervix following many abnormal smears though so the docs say its that and keep a close eye on me. Im now 31 weeks.
Have the docs checked your cervix? Mine bleeds very easily as some peoples do during pregnancy.

Mama1980 Mon 19-Nov-12 21:29:17

How are you panda?

mrswee Mon 19-Nov-12 22:10:50

I had bleeding and a lot of pain at the same week as you. I even ended up in hospital over night because of the pain one of the nights and back up there several times for more pain relief. I had to take it easy for a few weeks and got signed off work but all along the baby was fine, I felt awful with the pain and wondered constantly how on earth the baby could be fine when i was in so much pain, they gave me a scan for reassurance but it was really just for MY reassurance.... and I am now 39 weeks pregnant and waiting for the birth. They are just being straight with you because you asked and they have to but take their advise, take it really easy, get signed off work for a couple of weeks and rest and you are very likely to be fine. I was told that the presence of blood can irritate the uterus so causing pain and tightenings and this was their explaination for what was happening. They didn't think I was having a misscarrage or they baby was in danger but didn't want to say 100%.
Good luck but really I am sure you are fine. I hope you are ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now