We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hubby doesnt understand morning sickness

(24 Posts)
RoxyLady Sun 18-Nov-12 20:00:41

2nd preg. Im 6 weeks and morning sickness is starting to take hold. Trying to look after a 2 yr old at the same time. Im finding it hard to keep up with the housework.
Had my head in my hands as I waa feeling unwell. Hubby says i need to " get up and get on with it" other preg women he knows never had this problem. Just me... Why cant i be normal.
Am i wrong in thinking hes a total Asshole?

Notmyidea Sun 18-Nov-12 20:23:26

no, not at all. Was he like this last time?

Dandelion75 Sun 18-Nov-12 20:26:54

You are not wrong - you are being normal, and he is being an asshole.
Poor you - not sure how you get him to change his perception though. Can you get him to read any of the expectant dad books? (I'm guessing probably not if this is his attitude).
I can't say I know how you feel, as luckily my DP has been a star, but you have my sympathy x

Pozzled Sun 18-Nov-12 20:32:12

He's an asshole. Does he drink? If so, what's he like with a hangover, does he 'get up and get on with it'?

crunchingautumnleaves Sun 18-Nov-12 20:32:22

Chances are, most other pregnant women he's known will have been after they started showing/went public, which for most is when they're past the morning sickness/complete exhaustion of first trimester.
Sorry don't know what else to say other than remember you're not alone with mumsnet.

CalamityJ Sun 18-Nov-12 20:34:05

The best way I used to describe it to get my DH to understand was imagine the worst hangover you've ever had. Now imagine not knowing when it's going to go away. How would he feel the day after the night before you telling him to "get up and get on with it"?

Panzee Sun 18-Nov-12 20:35:59

Puke on him.

poppy283 Sun 18-Nov-12 20:41:06

What a bum. Explain it's the baby taking all of the vitamins, goodness etc from you, no wonder you'd feel rough.

And also why would a woman other than his wife talk about this kind of thing with him?

ScrambledSmegs Sun 18-Nov-12 20:47:01

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Wanker.

milktraylady Sun 18-Nov-12 21:28:53

Sounds like you are ramping up to hyperemesis- I compare it to being like day 1 of a 2 day hangover- constantly.

It's awful & no way you can get on with it.
Explain EXACTLY how you feel. Hopefully he will listen & give you some slack.
Good luck.

Brownhairbrowneyes Sun 18-Nov-12 21:30:38

Oh my god thought my DH was a prick whilst I was pregnant... Be sick all over him ...

PrimeSuspect Mon 19-Nov-12 02:57:36

You poor thing - he is being really stupid. Morning sickness is horrendous, am 8 weeks and throwing up 4 times a day and feel nauseous all the time I am awake. Not everyone gets MS though so maybe his friends are the lucky bitches ones. I also feel your pain as have a 2 year old as well and it is so hard...

VintageRainBoots Mon 19-Nov-12 02:59:24

Sounds like your husband needs to do the housework. grin

VintageRainBoots Mon 19-Nov-12 03:02:01

In all seriousness, though, each pregnancy and each woman is different. I never got a minute of morning sickness which means I gained more weight during pregnancy than I should have, for example, but that's just me. I was the outlier. If the women (e.g., mum and sisters) in your husband's life have had very little morning sickness, then he might think expect you to have very little morning sickness, too.

Want2bSupermum Mon 19-Nov-12 03:30:03

I agree with panzee. Just puke on him.

PeshwariNaan Mon 19-Nov-12 09:53:18

Explain it's like stomach flu + regular flu. Has he ever had either of those? Then puke on him.

nannyl Mon 19-Nov-12 10:30:27

sending you sympathy

im 9.5 weeks at have HG (like last time)

I have seen a DR 7 times in the past 9 days, as i just about keep myself out of hospital

i was told yesturday i cant be that ill cause if i was i would be in hospital angry

my mum has been looking after 14m dd all week, she goes home today and DD will be going to nursery tomo as i just cant look after her at the moment sad

HumphreyCobbler Mon 19-Nov-12 10:35:14

The worst thing about these men (those who disbelieve their wives) is that they seem to have such a poor opinion of their pregnant partner, to imply that they would make a fuss about nothing for some unknown reason.

How DARE he imply that you are malingering? I am angry for you.

surfingbabies Mon 19-Nov-12 11:20:30

Oh poor you! Show him this thread as every woman is different, I'm 7+ months with baby number 4 and I've never suffered with sickness but in the first trimester my house is an absolute tip as all I do is fall asleep!! Talk to him, my DP is selfish to my needs at times so I google things to prove its normal & email them to him! I also email him a link to match my weeks of pregnancy as I do think its hard for a man as they hav no idea how we feel, like my DP says I look fab on outside so he forgets how bad I feel on inside smile good luck x

NAR4 Mon 19-Nov-12 14:56:27

I wasn't sick at all with my first 3 so when I was very sick with number 4 it came as a bit of a shock. My hubby thought I was making a fuss at first and said I just needed to get on with it. I then decided to puke in a large stewing pot all day whilst 'getting on with it' and gave it to him to empty and clean when he got home from work, because I had been too busy with housework. He was shocked by the amount of sick (sorry, gross I know) and agreed it was terrible and never told me to get on with it again.

In my husbands defence he does work very long hours, so hadn't actually witnessed me throwing up much, more just the exhausted mess left after a day of it. I think he just assumed I must be exagerating because he thought it wasn't possible for pregnancy to make someone soooo sick.

He was really sympathetic with this pregnancy and insisted I just rest in bed at the weekends, if I felt sick, whilst he took care of the other children and attempted to get the housework done. Bless.

MyLastDuchess Mon 19-Nov-12 18:20:44

i was told yesturday i cant be that ill cause if i was i would be in hospital

Nannyl that is awful sad I felt like death for the first few months of my first pregnancy, but there was no question of being hospitalised. I was nauseous and dizzy, but I wasn't actually vomiting enough to need rehydrating or anything like that so there was no need to send me to hospital. Do people really not realise that?

Almost everyone I know has had morning sickness to some degree. There's a reason why throwing up is a cliched sign of early pregnancy, after all! The OP's partner is being ridiculous.

QuietNinjaTardis Mon 19-Nov-12 18:24:04

I can't even type a coherent response I just want to punch your dh so much. I was horribly ill will ds and was sick up to 10 times a day. How the fuck can you just get on with it with your head down the toilet bowl or desperately trying to hold on before dashing to the toilet bowl again? Tell him to cock off from me.

cupcake78 Mon 19-Nov-12 18:41:50

He's being a prick! I have HG and its horrific. Next time he has a really bad hangover or proper stomach flu, send him on a fishing boat out to sea (leave him therewink) for 12hrs and when he complains tell him to man up. Because severe morning sickness is like that all day and all night for weeks/months.

Alternatively feed him something to give him food poisoning and tell him just to get on with itgrin

amillionyears Mon 19-Nov-12 18:52:15

He knows and he understands. because he said "why cant you be normal".
He just doesnt like it.
Not nice behaviour at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now