Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Herpes type 1 - cold sore virus

(4 Posts)
Themilkyboobsareonme Sat 17-Nov-12 08:58:58

I'm a bit concerned and am posting this in pregnancy and childbirth.

I have had outbreaks of the cold sore virus on my mouth and down below. Not for some time tho and not in this pregnancy. I was advised by Mw that I would need to see a consultant at some point as if I have a vaginal birth and there is an outbreak there is a risk to baby.

I have since asked Mw as I am now 36 weeks and have been fobbed off. Not been referred to a consultant and was told to ask a dr as its "really their call" if I should be taking a suppressant for the last few weeks just in case.

Not sure what to do now, should I make an appmt with my gp? I read that if you have had an outbreak pre pregnancy then some antibodies will have passed on to baby and its only if its your first outbreak that you should worry. Like I said I don't have one now I'm just concerned in case it is passed on to baby.

Sorry for the long blurb, I'm worrying myself stupid.

boardblonde Sat 17-Nov-12 12:17:28

I get recurrent cold sores in my nose and was worried. I spoke to my consultant and he said that with herpes (face or down below) they worry more if you get it for the first time close to the birth but not so much when you get it all the time. I think it was something to do with the recurrent virus not being as strong? He just said to use the topical solutions when I get it. If you get an outbreak I would mention it to them.

mrsbugsywugsy Sat 17-Nov-12 12:48:47

I've had a few cold-sores this pregnancy, I think because my immunity has been generally low. I've had them before and so I never thought to mention it to the midwife, I just used zovirax as usual. Only had the kind you get on your face though grin

SoYo Sat 17-Nov-12 17:48:23

There's a guideline on this from the royal college of obs and gynae (RCOG) that you can google and read. If it's not your first outbreak then a vaginal delivery is fine but if you have active lesions down below past a certain gestation then a course of acyclovir is sometimes indicated so you should see your GP if this happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now