Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it normal....

(13 Posts)
datingthedevil Sat 17-Nov-12 03:10:57

Hiya,

I know it's sort of normal to have swollen feet but is it normal to have swollen feet and lower legs too? Mine are solid with excess fluid or whatever it is. They also really hurt and are so tight. sad.

If anyone could advise I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you x

ClaudiaSchiffer Sat 17-Nov-12 03:13:30

Doesn't sound terribly good to me OP. Disclaimer - I have zero medical expertise but I would be raising my feet above my head and ringing NHS direct if I were you. Even if just for reassurance.

iloveholidays Sat 17-Nov-12 03:55:09

How many weeks are you? It's very common to have swollen ankles and feet towards the end of pregnancy however it is also a sign of pre eclampsia so you need to be careful. Any swelling anywhere else like your hands?

My feet and ankles were pretty huge towards the end but no other symptoms. No pain with it. DD is a week old today and I can now see my ankles again smile

datedthedevil Sat 17-Nov-12 04:19:47

Hi again, I'm 36 weeks at the moment. I was just concerned as I'm swollen up to my knees sad

datedthedevil Sat 17-Nov-12 04:21:05

Oh, and they hurt as the skin is stretched so tight sad
They hurt when I walk or bend my feet or wiggle my toes sad

AndMiffyWentToSleep Sat 17-Nov-12 04:29:50

Mine swelled up - I used flight socks to reduce the swelling and bought boots a size too big that I then couldn't wear afterwards

I don't remember the skin feeling tight and painful though

datedthedevil Sat 17-Nov-12 04:45:19

I can't even get my uggs on sad.

Jojoba1986 Sat 17-Nov-12 06:15:17

I had this as a result of standing up too much. I rang the midwife & was told to lie down & see if that helped. It would be worth calling the midwife or your local epu for advice, they might want to check you out just to be safe.

Haribojoe Sat 17-Nov-12 06:53:26

If the swelling has spread that far you should really call your midwife/maternity unit. It's probably fine but you need to get it checked out smile

SpottyTeacakes Sat 17-Nov-12 06:55:05

I always think if they're still like it in the morning after laying down all night then it needs checking out. Also are your hands or face swollen too?

DownTheRabidHole Sat 17-Nov-12 07:07:03

Please get it checked out this morning (both of you!), I developed pre-eclampsia at 36 weeks and it was very serious. My feet were swollen but being 36 weeks pregnant and the height of summer abroad I thought that was normal.

The fact that the skin is tight is a very worrying sign.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sat 17-Nov-12 08:59:55

Yes what Down said. If it comes and goes say if you do long days on your feet it's not such an issue but it needs checking out. Try to sit with your feet elevated as much as possible to reduce the swelling.

chezziejo Sat 17-Nov-12 10:46:55

I swelled up massively with ds. Even up my abdomen arms, hands and face. Couldn't even got those huge croc shoes on they were so swollen. Midwives never seemed concerned at all and I never developed pre eclampsia and had him in mlu. Best to get checked tho.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now