Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Rotten cold, what can I take/do?

(8 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Fri 16-Nov-12 15:23:32

Thread title says it all really.
I've had this since the w/e, it was an appalling sore throat at first which disturbed my sleep despite paracetemol etc, and now I think the lack of sleep has caught up with me and made the virus worse, because now it's an awful cold. Head blocked, streaming nose, I feel awful (not flu-ish at all, just headachey and miserable)

I'm trying to cope by drinking lots of weak tea with manuka honey, the occasional un-medicated throat lozenge, and one of those Vicks stick inhalers. Oh, and lots of kiwi fruit and oranges.

Any other advice? I know I can't take a lot of the usual decongestants which would help me to feel a bit less awful... Or mega-doses of Vit C. sad

It seems to be taking waaaay longer to shake off than usual as well.

emeraldgirl1 Fri 16-Nov-12 15:24:21

Oh, I am 22 +5, I forgot to say! If that makes any difference at all!! smile

Caladria Fri 16-Nov-12 15:31:41

Breathe right strips can help with blocked nose.

emeraldgirl1 Fri 16-Nov-12 15:32:56

Thanks caladria, that's a great suggestion!

Kafri Fri 16-Nov-12 15:38:16

hey, i'll be keeping an eye on this one - DH has an awful cold at the min. He was feeling better last weekend but it has come back with a vengeance so i'm playing the waiting game and hoping like hell i don't come down with it. I've had my flu jab - but don't know how effective it will be against all the various viral buggies going around.

emeraldgirl1 Fri 16-Nov-12 15:39:49

Kafri, yep, I had fu jab too so hoping at least I won't succumb to anything as bad as that... this is pretty miserable though!!
Am wondering if anyone knows if eucalyptus oil inhaled as drops on a tissue would be OK? And/or Karvol capsules?

Murraylover Sat 17-Nov-12 20:30:17

Sainsburys ginger, lemon & honey tea (TTD) keeping me off caffeine & bonus is tastes good & will help your airways. & Relaxing to catchup with sleep!

Murraylover Sat 17-Nov-12 20:31:51

& the paracetamol will help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now