Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vitamin D - what is safe amount to take?

(7 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Thu 15-Nov-12 08:29:31

I can't take multi-vits as there's not a single brand I can find (even low-iron ones) that won't make me constipated.

So MW has suggested (as I was Vit D deficient before pregnancy, though I was taking mega-supplement of it before ttc so hoping I'm less deficient now) that I take a single vitamin D supplement.

The only single one I can find in Boots is 10mcg (at least I think it's mcg, there's a wierd squiggle before the g that looks more like a fancy 'u') and it's 200% of RDA.

Can't find clear advice online, the nhs website seems to say between 5 and 10 mcg is the way to go but is 200% of RDA too much? Should I be trying to track down something that has 100% RDA, if indeed it is out there?

Or should I take one every 2 days??! I know Vit D isn't stored by the body though so that might be pointless.

squidgeberry Thu 15-Nov-12 08:41:36

Pregnacare has 200% RDA so the 10 ug would be fine

emeraldgirl1 Thu 15-Nov-12 08:43:00

thanks squidgeberry! That was good thinking of you!! smile

squidgeberry Thu 15-Nov-12 08:44:26

You might also want to take a magnesium supp as these are required for Vit D absorption

here

emeraldgirl1 Thu 15-Nov-12 08:46:22

Oh dear - will I not have been absorbing vit d without a supplement of magnesium?! my diet is pretty good but I don't know about sources of magnesium in it...

squidgeberry Thu 15-Nov-12 08:51:45

Yes you will, but magnesium may help you absorb it better! Plus magnesium is good for constipation too. Pumpkin seeds, almonds, Cashews are good for magnesium if you don't want to take more pills, or Epsom salt baths

MrsLionHeart Thu 15-Nov-12 16:55:14

I am 22 weeks and take 5000 iu supplement. (Yes, that is 2500% RDA!) My eldest child was diagnosed with rickets at 18 months, when I was 6 months pregnant with DC2 and was then found to have severe deficiency myself. Vit D is more important for so many things than many people realise. It is VERY hard to overdose on it. I was prescribed a double dose of adcal (VT D and calcium) when pregnant with DC2, after having superdoses of Vit D alone to get me back to normal levels. Now in this pregnancy am taking the 5000 iu, and when I told my consultant about it she told me I should carry on taking it. If you already know you are deficient, for the sake of the baby as well as your bone health after pregnancy I would definitely take at least 200% RDA. Hope it all goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now