Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Have to go back for a second 12 week scan - should I be worried?

(8 Posts)
ScarIettOHara Wed 14-Nov-12 22:15:08

Hi,

I had my 12 week scan (I'm 13 and 6) and they told me that they could see some things that wouldn't normally be there. Firstly my yolk sack was still there (I didn't know what that was but they said it what the baby fed from before the placenta - it's normally gone by now) and secondly that my coelomic cavity (?! think it goes around my womb?) is bigger than normal.

They told me not to worry and said that everyone is different - it just might be like this for me - but I can't STOP worrying now!

Does anyone have any experience of this or any of the issues they pointed out?

Kt8791 Thu 15-Nov-12 07:44:59

Bump. I hope someone can help. As hard as it is try not to worry.

ajandjjmum Thu 15-Nov-12 07:47:08

I haven't got a clue, but it seems a bit silly to tell you to stop worrying - that's what we'd all do!

How quickly are you getting the next scan? I would push for it asap. smile

sleeplessinsuburbia Thu 15-Nov-12 07:52:17

I think if they said not to worry its a good sign. You don't want to hear that they're very concerned. Just from my experience though, please don't stress!

katiecubs Thu 15-Nov-12 09:10:10

Was everything else with the baby ok? Good heartbeat and measuring to dates? If so am sure it should be fine.

ScarIettOHara Thu 15-Nov-12 17:30:14

Thanks so much for the replies... Yes katie everything else was fine (heartbate and measurements) I think they're just seeing things that are unusual in the environment (the yolk still being there and this cavity thing being bigger than normal) - they said that it just might be the way I am. They see me again in two weeks to check up and hope this yolk sack has disappeared. I asked what would happen if it was still there and they said they didn't know.

Anyway, fingers crossed - I was so disappointed as I couldn't celebrate after the scan - I'm kind of in limbo for another two weeks. So I'm just going to do my best to keep busy and keep my mind off it (harder than it sounds)

Thanks again for the replies - really appreciated them.

Hippolyta20 Fri 16-Nov-12 11:05:27

I agree with katiecubs. If heart beat/measurements etc are all normal then you are likely to be fine.

I think as well the fact they want to leave it for as long as two weeks helps to indicate that they are not hugely concerned that this could be a big risk for you or your babies health.

I had some concerns in early PG with abdominal pain and had to go back every 2 days for a week (all ok so far now). This was becasue classed as "high risk".

It sounds like it is just a case of everyone being a little bit different so if at all possible try and relax and enjoy knowing your baby is growing well.

katiecubs Fri 16-Nov-12 15:47:32

Am sure you have noting to worry about then, I know it's easier said than done but if the baby is growing ok that's the main thing.

Agree with Hippolyta too that is they were than concerned they wouldn't leave it for two weeks. Congrats btw smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now