Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nipples (aerola) bruised and bleeding

(4 Posts)
rainand Wed 14-Nov-12 18:47:41

Hi,

I'm three months and my the area around my nipple is not only sore but has got scabs around it as it has been bleeding and sore. I placed nipple cream on it but was worried that it is so early on in the pregnancy? Anyone got any experience of it?

amazingmumof6 Thu 15-Nov-12 11:49:59

I presume that your BABY's 3 months! grin

get him/her checked for tongue-tie, which if found could be sorted with a small op, but increase bf efficiency through better latch on massively!
ask HV or GP to refer you, free on NHS, but longer wait (weeks)
I got it done privately within days, cost varies depending on where you live, for me it was the best £85 I evver pent!

he/she may have a soft palate problem as did my DD - took her for cranial osteopathy session to get it sorted (she had tongue-tie as well,op was quick, they can bf straightaway)

use Avent nipple shields to give sore nipple a chance to heal - temporary solution

chocolateicecream Thu 15-Nov-12 13:39:28

Hi rainand, you poor thing, breasts can be mega sore in pregnancy. You must feel so uncomfortable with anything rubbing against them, do you have a soft cotton bra? Are you nursing another child in this pregnancy? Have you noticed your skin being more sensitive elsewhere? It might be worth getting them checked for thrush. I know that it is a pregnancy related issue but there are some really knowledgeable folk on the breastfeeding forum who may have awareness of this and could offer you more help. I really hope that things settle down soon and start to improve for you.

amazingmumof6 Thu 15-Nov-12 13:55:22

oops sorry, I misread it, I thought you've had baby already!!

nevertheless good advice after baby's born to check for tongue-tie.

back to problem - you could try plain old vaseline, then put a cotton wool on to protect both nipple and barrier cream

I'd get it checked out by gp or midwife also - and yes it could be trush.

poor you, I hope it improves soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now