Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Long latent phase

(9 Posts)
zambell Wed 14-Nov-12 18:45:41

Just wondering what experiences other people have had with long latent phase of labour.

I was 11 days overdue and due to be induced today when I started getting regular contractions at 3am yesterday. As I was really worried about being induced I thought 'great!'.

However after 39 hours of extremely painful 1 minute long contractions which are all over the place but average about every 12 minutes non-stop, no break, I am seriously wondering how I am going to cope and how long it will go on.

I have not managed to sleep so don't have the energy to keep active and I feel like vomiting so not had much food either. It's horrific.

We went to the hospital (Kingston) at 3am this morning as the contractions were every 3 minutes but I knew they would send me back.

As it turned out I was 2cm dilated (24 hrs of agony for 1 measly cm!) and was sent home with some beefed up paracetamol. I think the TENS machine is the only thing keeping me sane...

Really hoping something good happens soon. Sorry for the protracted whinge!

dizzy77 Wed 14-Nov-12 18:48:26

You poor thing, this is rubbish and so tiring. For me, laying down really slowed things down - provided I kept moving, so did DS. I had about 2.5 days of niggles which I could (just) sleep through with paracetamol. Hope you can either get some rest or get going.

cupcake78 Wed 14-Nov-12 19:01:36

It's very very hard. I was in labour for 4days 19hrs and it was murder.

If I was to do it again I'd say rest as much as you can when you can. Have baths if you can manage them and if it gets too much go into hospital and refuse to leave! I had to do this as I was exhausted and ended up having my waters broken to get things going.

Also when your actually in hospital consider taking as many drugs as you can to get some rest and comfort. Let everyone else run around after you and once baby is here stay in your bed and rest for as long as possible.

zambell Wed 14-Nov-12 19:34:52

Thanks Dizzy & Cupcake. Moving around is just not an option as I am just too tired. In fact I am so tired that my husband posted the original message and is now replying for me!

Just tried eating a threw it up instantly. What a horrible experience.

cupcake78 Wed 14-Nov-12 19:45:07

Ice lollies and boiled sweets may help. It can't last forever. Your dh sounds lovely, let him look after you.

Jakeyblueblue Wed 14-Nov-12 22:30:32

I feel for you op.
I felt my first pains at midnight on the Sunday and ds was born Wednesday at 5.30 am. Established labour was only about 8 hrs so the remaining time I spent in the latent phase. Ds was also back to back and almost 10lbs so was very painful. Like you I was having really long but irregular contractions that were painful enough to stop me resting.
If I was to give you some advice it would be to get in the bath as much as you can and also to consider some pain relief. I wanted a natural delivery originally but ended up having everything offered and I'm glad I did. I had an epidural at 6cm as was so exhausted the midwife knew I wouldn't have the energy to push without a rest. I did manage to get an hrs sleep and as a result had the energy to push for over 2 hrs. I think if I hadn't of had it I would have ended up in theatre.
I was sick too and would second the idea to try ice lollies and boiled sweets. I also drank loads of lucozade.
Most importantly, just keep going. It's so worth every minute and you'll soon forget and be planning the next one !
Good luck smile

zambell Wed 14-Nov-12 22:38:39

Thanks Jakeyblueblue. Zambell's 'H' here. Cx every 6 mins for 1.5 hrs. Her sister is here and a huge help. Felt slightly overwhelmed by how much pain she is in.

I was hoping we might be moving into another phase but don't think so. She does not feel like having a bath but may try and persuade her.

She was hoping for a natural birth too but is now pretty convinced oabout the drugs. She also wants to give the baby away to Elton John for causing so much trouble...think she might be delirious!

zambell Wed 14-Nov-12 22:45:51

Thanks Jakeyblueblue. Zambell's 'H' here. Cx every 6 mins for 1.5 hrs. Her sister is here and a huge help. Felt slightly overwhelmed by how much pain she is in.

I was hoping we might be moving into another phase but don't think so. She does not feel like having a bath but may try and persuade her.

She was hoping for a natural birth too but is now pretty convinced oabout the drugs. She also wants to give the baby away to Elton John for causing so much trouble...think she might be delirious!

IHeartKingThistle Wed 14-Nov-12 23:09:13

Hope everything's going ok x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now