Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Seriously, how much tuna can I eat?

(9 Posts)
Pritchyx Wed 14-Nov-12 17:53:54

I've been told to have TWO medium sized tins of tuna a week, but I have no idea what a medium sized tin is?
I usually have a tin of tuna that is 185g but is that medium or large?

Its starting to irritate me with what I can or can't eat! I'm pretty relaxed usually and dont deny myself food but I'm aware of the mercury content in tuna so I'd like some help please! X

MisselthwaiteManor Wed 14-Nov-12 18:11:24

NHS site says you can have 2 portions of 140g of cooked tuna steak, so I would guess around the same for tinned tuna.

BonkeyMollocks Wed 14-Nov-12 18:27:46

Medium size is the bog standard size in the supermarket.

Not the teeny stupid amount ones - the ones that everywhere sells.

BonkeyMollocks Wed 14-Nov-12 18:29:47

And theres a difference between tuna steak and tinned tuna, can't remember what - mercury levels??? but there is a difference.

<remembers tuna being something I always wanted to eat when pg and got very pissy once I had got through my two cans angry >

Dolallytats Wed 14-Nov-12 18:59:51

I googled and this is what a few websites say

four medium-sized cans of tuna (with a drained weight of 140g per can) or
two fresh tuna steaks (weighing about 170g raw or 140g when cooked)

xnancyx Thu 15-Nov-12 22:35:12

Hey,

I asked my midwife this because I got so much conflicting advice.

She gave me a print out of the NHS guidelines and it is as Dolallyats says.

x

TwitchyTail Thu 15-Nov-12 23:06:19

You sound like my cat grin

But yes, what Dolallytats said.

NaomiKnees Fri 16-Nov-12 11:15:09

All the conflicting advice and old wives tales you hear during pregnancy does my head in!
I agree with Dolallytats though, or at least that's the most common thing that I've heard!

tuna and smoked salmon are my ultimate craving foods. I have to ration myself sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now