Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy Myths....are you a believer?

(22 Posts)
loopylou10 Tue 13-Nov-12 21:21:57

I am due to have my baby next week by C-section, I have no idea what the sex is. This is my second child and although I found out with my first, me and husband chose not to this time round. I'm not a great believer in the myths of if the heart rate is below 140bpm it's a boy, or if above 140bpm it's a girl, or if you carry up front it's a boy, if your spread around the sides it's a girl. Do many of you really believe in the myths?, have you believed in them that much that you then discover the sex of your baby is not what your thought?

MyLastDuchess Tue 13-Nov-12 21:50:24

I don't believe them. I am 39 weeks with DD, I look like I have a watermelon shoved up my jumper. I looked exactly the same with DS.

bruffin Tue 13-Nov-12 21:55:44

I was in hospital for a long time before ds was born and was monitored every day. Ds heartbeat was always changing. We used to guess by heartbeat but it never worked out.

terilou87 Tue 13-Nov-12 21:59:16

i dont believe in myths i can tell you facts for my pregnancies, for me im on my 4th pregnancy 2 girls and 2 boys and i can say that there is a definite difference between carrying boys and girls, with my boys my hair has been thicker and wilder iv carried all to the front with little weight gain, horrible morning sickness and ligament pains (presuming from carrying at front) craved sweet things (magnum icecream) mmm.. with my girls gained alot of weight carried all over hardly any pregnancy symptoms no sickness ect and i craved fish and chips from the sea side. iv never checked my last pregnancies heart rate so cant compare but this one is averaging 135bpm and is a boy. but i suppose everyones pregnancys are different.

milkyjo Tue 13-Nov-12 22:00:39

I don't believe that myths but when I was pregnant with DS his HB was 130. I carried him out front. I am having a girl this time and more spread out at the sides. But I still don't believe the myths, it is just coincidence if you ask me!

bruffin Tue 13-Nov-12 22:37:15

Carried both my dd and ds the same, sort of wrapped around, but did have very strong stomach muscles. They were both exactly the same weight, but Dd was squashed as she has positional talapies
Had worse morning sickness with Dd.

Mixxy Wed 14-Nov-12 06:26:38

If you can't tell a person is pregnant from behind then they are having a boy. Hasn't failed me yet! I'm 27 weeks with a boy and it's as if somebody shoved a basketball under my sweater, apart from that - nothing.

Midgetm Wed 14-Nov-12 09:42:10

With dd I put weight on everywhere. With DS I was all bump and you couldn't tell from behind at all. And DS was twice the size of DD. Just my experience.

sundaesundae Wed 14-Nov-12 09:55:48

everyone who has looked at me and bump and guessed has been wrong!

LittleBairn Wed 14-Nov-12 10:10:45

My sister didn't look pregnant at all from behind but had a huge up in front bump.... It was a 10 pound girl.

I can quite believe the heartbeat myth. But not how/where you carry there is no biological reason why it would be different.

MayimBialik Wed 14-Nov-12 10:14:12

Not had my baby yet but that heart rate things is a load of pants. Their heart rates change all the time and are not consistently 130 or 140 of whatever. The heart rate fluctuates.

I keep getting told I'm having a boy (by random people). I have no idea why they say this but def getting more people saying boy, especially now I'm overdue " oh it's a boy, they're always late.." (For the record, I'm a girl and I was late too)

PandaWatch Wed 14-Nov-12 11:03:41

I think the oddest thing about pregnancy is when perfectly practical and sensible people suddenly start having "feelings" about what someone will have. Another girl at my work is pregnant and about four weeks ahead of me. She had her 20 week scan the other day and found out she was having a boy. When she told our accountant she said "I was sure you were having a girl! But they do get it wrong at scans you know." Like her "feeling" was more accurate than the scan! confused

Jingleflobba Wed 14-Nov-12 14:02:00

Not the sex of the baby but I was told that the worse the heartburn the hairer the baby. I really laughed at that one but...
DS minor heartburn for a week or so - bald
DD1 fairly bad heartburn for the last 3 months - thick black hair
DD2 horrendous heartburn all the way through- thick red hair!

I got told that because of the way my bump lay (high and in front) I was having a boy. All 3 times...

Jingleflobba Wed 14-Nov-12 14:02:55

Ahem, when I say in front I mean that the bump was all at the front, ice and neat style.. Not that it usually lies behind my knees or anything..

kellestar Wed 14-Nov-12 15:22:10

DH and I were talking about this last night. With my first I didn't find out, I had a neat, low bump all at the front, looking from behind you wouldn't have guessed I was pregnant. I had no nausea at the start, a little hearburn towards the end, HB was around 145bpm at each check up. A lovely little girl arrived 6 days late.

This time I am showing much more [17+5] than last time, everwhere but the bump doesn't seem to be sitting like last time, it seems to be higher too. I have had nausea from the get go, HB was 155bpm at the 16w check up. We aren't finding out what we are having.

I did find it funny hearing all the opinions last time, most people thought it was a boy, I wasn't sure, she ended up being a girl. Most people think I'm going to have a boy, again.

learnermummy Thu 15-Nov-12 11:11:27

Can second the heartburn/hair theory. DS1 - awful heartburn, gaviscon at my side constantly, loads of thick hair. DS2 - no heartburn at all and he was bald!

MrsAceRimmer Thu 15-Nov-12 11:16:09

Definitely second (third?) the heartburn one. I never had heartburn until I was pregnant. Both DCs born with a head full of hair, DS dark and DD blonde smile
All the others are crap IMO.

RubyrooUK Thu 15-Nov-12 11:19:39

Well, I am pregnant with my second DS. Both have HB had above 140 so that definitely hasn't been true for me.

As for bump, I carried first DS in my crotch - had to go up a trouser size at 8 weeks. This time bump is very high and I'm still in my normal black skinny trousers at 22 weeks, despite putting on more weight overall this time.

First pregnancy, never sick but queasy. This time, throwing up blood occasionally till 12 weeks. Last time I was obsessed with certain foods and couldn't bear anything spicy; this time I can eat anything.

So nope, don't believe any of the myths.

noblegiraffe Thu 15-Nov-12 11:19:47

Do you crave oranges? There was a thread recently linking an orange craving to having a girl smile

BionicEmu Thu 15-Nov-12 12:14:21

Last pregnancy, had a boy:
Very little sickness
Bump splodged everywhere
Heart-rate consistently above 140 (had lots of monitoring)
Horrendous heartburn, but he did have a full head of hair, even though he was born at 34 weeks!
Craved Cadbury's mini rolls and satsumas
Awful SPD from 18 weeks, ended up house-bound and on crutches from 26 weeks

This pregnancy, am 29+3 weeks & expecting another boy:
Awful, awful sickness. 10+ times a day until about 22 weeks, still being sick a couple of times a day now
Bump is all up front (although I've lost a lot of weight from the sickness, so that may have something to do with it)
Heart-rate again above 140
Craving twiglets and oranges
No particular hip pain yet

Two completely different pregnancies, and supposedly both boys (has been v obvious that this one is a boy from the scans, but I guess we'll have to wait until he's born to be 100% sure.)

Also, DC1 was active, but mainly did lots of rolling around and turning, and sticking limbs fully against my belly. This time DC2 is completely different - not much rolling or turning, but lots of frantic, sharp kicks. I had no idea 2 pregnancies could be so different with the same person!

WitchesTit Thu 15-Nov-12 12:20:39

The one about baby having lots of hair and mother suffering lots of indigestion is true in my case. Carried 3 boys and now a girl and the only difference with this pregnancy is that I have an anterior placenta so the movements are less defined. I imagine them to be a little bit more delicate and ladylike!

stowsettler Thu 15-Nov-12 15:37:23

27+1 with a girl. Heart rate never been above 138 so far and you can't tell I'm pregnant from the back (apparently I still have a waist....hahahahahaha yeah right!)
I had a strong feeling it was a girl all along and this only made me believe all the stronger that this was the reason for my sweet cravings. There's another old wive's tale based on spurious medical research, which is that female sperm live longer and so you're more likely to have a girl if you ovulate AFTER sex. This is definitely true of me. I couldn't possibly have conceived on the day I supposedly did...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now