Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Winchester Hospital/Birth Centre

(7 Posts)
TashEv Tue 13-Nov-12 15:06:00

Hi

I'm pregnant with my first baby and have absolutely no idea what to choose in terms of where to have him/her.

Has anyone recently had a baby at Winchester Hospital? I have heard some negative stories but I thought I would investigate. It would be nice to have the option of pain relief!!

My other option is the local birth centre which looks lovely but the idea of not being able to handle the pain and then things going wrong is really putting me off the idea! My midwife, as lovely as she is, just tells me I don't know how much I can handle which isn't particularly helpful!

Any advice would be gratefully received!

x

Lougle Tue 13-Nov-12 15:06:58

I had 3 at RHCH (Winchester Hospital) and the care was excellent.

TashEv Tue 13-Nov-12 15:10:29

Thanks Lougle. Do you mind me asking how long ago the last one was? I get the impression that because smaller hospitals nearby are closing their maternity units and being shifted to Winchester there aren't enough midwives to cope with patients properly.

Lougle Tue 13-Nov-12 15:16:56

The last time was 3.6 years ago. It was busy, but I still got fantastic care.

newby2 Tue 13-Nov-12 15:19:25

Hi Tash, I have 5 more weeks to go and have had consultant care all the way through at Winch. It's always been efficient and have been impressed with the midwife led unit there. Winchester's population has exploded and services changed. I don't know how the actual birth will be until I get there though!

TashEv Tue 13-Nov-12 15:23:48

Thanks guys, this is really helpful. I am going to arrange a visit which will probably put my mind at ease.

Can you have water births etc there??

ISingSoprano Tue 13-Nov-12 15:29:17

I had 2 at RHCH, the last was 14 years ago so not very helpful but I had fabulous care with both deliveries. Both were caesarean sections, the first of which was not planned!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now