Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How long to wait until chasing booking in appointment?

(7 Posts)
rrreow Tue 13-Nov-12 14:13:13

I saw my GP 2 weeks ago to let her know I was pregnant and get a referral to the midwifery unit in my area. I haven't yet heard anything re booking in appointment or scan appointment. I'm 9+3 today. At what point should I chase to check a referral has been sent?

milkyjo Tue 13-Nov-12 14:19:51

Can you phone the unit and ask a midwife directly? Do you have community midwives in your GP surgery? You will need a booking appointment and then they can arrange your scan. In areas I've lived you just make a booking appointment with the midwife between 8-10 weeks, no need to see a GP. I had mine at 10 weeks (although I phoned at 7 weeks!) as there were no earlier slots and couldn't go to my local hospital for the 12 week scan as they were fully booked by then. If you can't contact the midwife unit then I'd contact your GP again - or the surgery to get a message to them.

lookingfoxy Tue 13-Nov-12 14:25:00

I would phone your surgery to chase this.
After I had seen my GP, I made my own appt at the receptionist desk as there's midwifes based there. My appt on friday and i'll be around 10 weeks then.

dinkystinky Tue 13-Nov-12 14:26:54

My referral got lost with DS2 so follow up (I was too late for the 3 in 1 test by the time I was booked in) - you can self refer directly now.

weeblueberry Tue 13-Nov-12 14:27:25

Definitely chase it. They got my weeks wrong which meant my booking in was at 11 weeks and my scan was at 13+5. It meant that when they couldn't do the Nuchal test at my scan my only resort was blood tests.

So get chasing!! smile

rrreow Tue 13-Nov-12 19:51:43

Thanks for your replies. The midwifery unit is not attached to the GP practice and need to be referred to it to get an appointment, so I will chase GP practice tomorrow.

Oodthunkit Tue 13-Nov-12 19:56:04

Each area is different, my area the scan gets sent direct and MW sees you as late as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now