Talk

Advanced search

Funny shaped uterus?

(11 Posts)
LeBFG Tue 13-Nov-12 13:18:41

Anyone else pregnant/have been pregant with a funny shaped uterus?

I have just been diagnosed with an arcuate uterus (22 weeks, second pg). DS was born early so may be the underlying cause.

pebspop Tue 13-Nov-12 15:58:41

i have a heart shaped womb. this is usually linked to late mc/stillbirth and prem labour.

i have mc'd all my previous pregnancies and am now 19 weeks. very nervous as i had missed mc last year at 20 week scan.

my 20 week mc was due to blood clotting rather than the womb shape but still nervous.

probably not the response you wanted - sorry!

PhoebeC Tue 13-Nov-12 19:17:40

Disclaimer: I am a doctor, but not an obsterician and this is personal advice, based on my own research and experience, not professional advice

LeBFG, I'm 27 weeks and have a bicornuate uterus (it's shaped a bit like a Y or a mickey mouse face but all one cavity on the inside). The terminology used can be a bit confusing and different terms are also used interchanably sometimes.

Basically, the internal reporductive organs form from two ducts in the embryo. At various points in development the ducts can fail to fuse which can result in anything from a slightly abnormal shaped uterus to two a whole duplicate systems - two uteruses, two cervicies and even occasionally two vaginas - and everything in between.

Arcuate refers to a uterus that is abnormaly shaped on the outside, but a single cavity inside. Mine can also be described as arcuate (which is what I mean by confusing terminology)

In some cases, depending on the extent of the abnormality, arcuate can put you at higher risk of breech presentation and pre-term labour, but doesn't carry other risks. It can also make it harder to get pregnant, but I would say not in your case since this is your second pregnancy.

As far as I know stories like pebspop's whilst very sad, and I am sorry for your loses, are the exception not the rule.

We had an obstetric appointment last week and were told I'm still considered low risk.

Good Luck.

honeytea Tue 13-Nov-12 21:34:18

I have a heart shaped uterus and it did take me a long time to become pregnant (20 cycles.) Everything has gone smoothly so far in this pregnancy, I was expecting a breach/transverse position but my baby has been head down since 28 weeks. I'm now 36 weeks and the baby has dropped. The midwife says he is in the most common pre birth position and it is all looking good.

Best of luck!

BeadyEyes Wed 14-Nov-12 07:49:24

Hi, I have an arcuate uterus which my consultant described as having a dent or dimple on top! He also said there was a slightly increased risk of miscarriage and preterm labour with it, but also said that most women are fine, and most will go through life without even knowing they have it. Hope that helps.

LeBFG Wed 14-Nov-12 08:04:52

These posts make very interesting reading. It's something that never even occurred to me so I was a bit shock when the gynae pointed it out. Mine's quite like yours Beady, a dent at the top, which is why they probably overlooked it in the first pregnancy. There is only one cavity PoebeC - thanks for your reassuring post. The thing is, no reason was found for the prem labour last time so the only anomally, so to speak, that's come to light is this uterus business.

Pebsbop, I'm so sorry to read about your mcs. I would be feeling exactly like you at 19 weeks. Fx this one is a sticker. Have you been told that the heart-shape uterus is behind the mcs?

Honeytea, what I would give to be in your position now! I gave birth vaginally last time so I'm hoping the LO will engage the same way this time. She was moving around a lot during the scan so for the moment she can get into any position she likes. I very much want to avoid a c-section if I can.

Does anyone find their uterus is more contractile than the norm (what is the norm, I know)? I've been getting BH since 20 weeks which the MW says is very early. She said my uterus is 'contractile'. But I'm getting progesterone this time to relax the muscle a bit so hopefully this will help.

Best of luck to one and all in any case.

honeytea Wed 14-Nov-12 08:33:11

I hope your baby settles head down and you get a vaginal birth again. I find I get BH from just gentle walking, I'm not sure what is normal. I also had incredibly painful periods pre pregnancy, I do also have pcos and fibroids (it's like a problem party in my uterus!) so it could as well be something other than the shape causing the pain.

pebspop Wed 14-Nov-12 10:34:34

they say my heart shaped womb didn't cause my mc's as the first one was 12 weeks and early mc's are not usually caused by heart shaped womb. the second one was caused by blood clots in the placenta so nothing to do with womb shape (i am now taking blood thinners to prevent this) and my third was identical twins sharing a sac which is very high risk and i had a bit of placenta retained from second mc which was causing a lot of bleeding so that was just a bad pg.

i am concerned a bit about the risk of prem labour/ still birth but hoping everything is ok this time. as beady eyes says most women don't even know they have these things are sail through pregancy without problems.

TheOnlyPersonInTheRoom Wed 14-Nov-12 11:00:40

I have a heart-shaped one (I think). I only have one child but she refused to turn and they quickly gave up on the ECV and told me they thought it was heart-shaped but didn't seem too sure tbh. She was delivered by CS as a result.

Now pg with second so possibly will have same thing but it's early days.

EyeoftheStorm Wed 14-Nov-12 16:06:34

I have a heart-shaped womb. DS1 was breech, DD1 arrived at 36+5 after my waters broke early and DS2 was premature at 30 weeks. I think it was only after 3 DCs that there was any pattern.

It was pointed out after DS1 - I had a c-section - but no one flagged it as a concern.

DS2 was a good weight when he was born (4lbs) so nothing wrong with the placenta and I didn't have an infection. I put it down to 3 pregnancies and a slightly odd womb. If I'd only had 2 DCs I'd never have thought of it again.

EyeoftheStorm Wed 14-Nov-12 16:08:10

The only person - my obstetrician refused to do ECV on me as he said my womb was very tight blush

A good thing in hindsight as DS1 had an abnormally short umbilical cord.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now