Talk

Advanced search

UTI for 2 weeks and now allergic reaction to penicillin! feeling blue :-(

(5 Posts)
veggie77 Tue 13-Nov-12 12:16:19

Just needed to moan / share my experience incase it helps anyone else. I started with a urine infection 2 weeks ago and got in to see the GP the next day. They tested a urine sample, confirmed the infection and prescribed Cefalaxin antibiotic to clear it up. It took 5 days for the lab results to come back (weekend got in the way & I suspect the Drs didn't send it off that quickly). The results showed the strain was resistant to Cefalaxin, so I got prescribed a more appropriate antibiotic. (Trimethoprim). This didn't work either, even though it was the right one for the strain. So by that point I'd been in pain with a UTI for about 8 days and was off work it was so sore. So the next course of action was for my GP to prescribe me a 3rd antibiotic (Amoxicillin). However, I was really anxious about taking this cos I had an allergic reaction 18 years ago as a teenager, but it was when I had glandular fever. Never quite been sure if I'm allergic to amoxicillin and therefore, all penicillin, or if it was just a coincidence of having glandular fever when I last took.it - always stayed clear of amoxicillin since then!
Anyway, now it emerges that after 3 days of taking amoxicillin i am having an allergic reaction again! Got an angry red rash that's been creeping all over my body in the last 36 hours. Currently off work again, laid up in bed with pyjamas on and slathering a cooling cream on (or rather my husband is doing it for me!) My UTI has gone, but I'm now left with this Damn allergic rash. The whole process has lasted 2 wording weeks and I'm still not well! 12 days of pain from.a UTI and now probably several days of looking like I've got measles and unable to work! Grrrrrrr! GP is well aware of it all and I'm.under good medical care etc. Just needed to moan and kind of warn people that penicillin allergies can be a problem and don't ignore a UTI incase the treatment takes as long as it has with me (even though I acted quickly).
Now dreading getting another UTI as it will prove difficult to treat according to my GP. Only 19 weeks along, so this better not happen again.
Anyone else had similar medical problems trying to treat a UTI or dealing with a penicillin allergy?

LibrarianAli Tue 13-Nov-12 12:47:45

I have both recurrent UTIs and am allergic to Penicillin. I'm assuming you know all the usual guff about keeping warm, hot water bottle on your abdomen, drink plenty of water not tea/coffee, cranberry tablets, a tub of bicarb in the bath (very soothing), cotton knickers, wipe front to back and always always pee/rinse before and after sex (and if you didn't then I've helpfully just listed!)

What else helps me? Alternating Paracetemol and Ibuprofen (I'm sorry, I don't know if you're allowed to do this pregnant, I'm only 11 weeks).... I do a sort of rolling dance with my hips when it gets really burny, and I wee into a warm bath (bit minging but feels better)

It's wretched isn't it - totally debilitating and sad-making. I hate them! I've not had one since I got Pregnant, but had plenty trying to get here and I'm sure one will come along to bit me soon enough.

Hope you feel better soon and keep warm!

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 13-Nov-12 13:11:03

Same thing here - always been fine with penicillin, got a UTI when I was about 17 weeks pg and had an allergic reaction to the amoxycillin. I feel your pain - aside from the physical symptoms it was the "how will I ever get rid of this without ABs?" question that really dragged me down. I was ill on and off for about a month but thankfully I've been fine since (am 30 weeks now). Take care of yourself.

veggie77 Tue 13-Nov-12 15:34:35

Thanks LibrarianAli. I knew some of those tips but not all of them. Really helpful:-) good luck with your pregnancy x x

veggie77 Tue 13-Nov-12 15:36:25

Hi. So, did you get prescribed anything else if the doctors couldn't give you penicillin-based antibiotics? Thanks for your best wishes x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now