Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hot tub in first trimester

(8 Posts)
Littlemissimpatientlovesxmas Tue 13-Nov-12 09:19:51

Any advice? I'm going to a lovely cottage with a hot tub next week with some friends who don't know I'm pg. I'll be 9-10wks. Should I avoid completely? I have had a google and it says to avoid raising body temp but surely if I go in for 10/15 mins I'm not talking allday it would be no different to having a bath? What would you do?

Pascha Tue 13-Nov-12 09:22:43

10 mins at a time, make sure the temp is below body temp - 35/36 is ok. Get out while you feel fine, it can make you feel a bit dizzy and sick if you overheat yourself. I've done it with no ill effects though so have fun.

FatimaLovesBread Tue 13-Nov-12 09:28:19

I think a hot tub differs from a bath in that the water tends to be hotter and you are submerged deeper so it's easier for it to raise your body temperature.
Also, if there's bubbles there can be issues with pressure points I think.

I went to a spa at 30 weeks and they said they didn't advise use, DH went in but I just sat on the edge with my legs in to my knees. I could feel myself getting hot quickly even then.

It's up to you but I'd be careful not to get too hot, your body often copes differently with temperatures when pregnant

Littlemissimpatientlovesxmas Tue 13-Nov-12 09:31:05

Thank you. I'm guessing we will be able to adjust the temp. I thought about dipping just my legs in but as its Nov I'm expecting it to be freezing outside of the water!
Is there any pressure points I should avoid?

FatimaLovesBread Tue 13-Nov-12 10:25:19

Not sure about pressure points to be honest, it was just something I read about when I was researching my spa break.
Is the hot tub indoors or outdoors?
I found with just my legs in I still got quite warm as it was quite steamy

Pascha Tue 13-Nov-12 10:34:35

There's usually a bit where you can sit a bit higher and just have some jets on your legs, thats quite nice. I avoided the ones around the small of my back and didn't lounge - sat upright with a glass in hand instead.

cashmere Tue 13-Nov-12 10:49:17

I stayed in a hotel with one in 3rd trimester. Think you are okay if temp is 37 or below.
However, on ours you couldn't change the temp and the recorded temp on the hot tub (37) didn't match my thermometer (40!). I took a floating bath thermometer and am sure it was more accurate. Leaving the lid off overnight didn't work either. Temp same in morning just added insects!

I either sat on the side- felt surprisingly warm even though freezing outside or squatted/crouched with tummy above water line- more comfortable than sounds as water supports you. Generally I swapped between the two. You'll be more prone to over heating anyway so watch for dizziness.

I left the jets off.

Think you may need to tell your friends or avoid altogether, as think overheating damages the baby's brain and you are at a vulnerable stage.

Have fun!

Littlemissimpatientlovesxmas Tue 13-Nov-12 11:01:03

Thank you.
It will be outside.
I'll see if it has a temp control then take it from there. My bedroom also has a jacuzzi bath which I was also looking forward to but I suppose with the bath I can control the temp

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now