Talk

Advanced search

How much to pay friend for birth and post birth help?

(9 Posts)
Sirenetta Tue 13-Nov-12 02:56:18

Hi. I live in the US so I will have to both convert currency and figure out whether the going rate could be different here, but I could really use a starting place...the question is : what would you pay a friend to a) come to the birth and help with moral support, breathing etc? b) be with us for 2-3 days afterwards to help round house, help me feed etc. the context is that our families are far away and this is our first child. Also in the us you don't get a midwife, just a doctor who isn't there throughout the birth, which means you really have to think who's going to get you through it. This friend of mine is my mother's sort of age - she has 4 kids of her own, is a yoga instructor and is a lovely, reassuring presence. I'm at ease thinking of giving birth with her there. She isn't a doula or professional birth coach, but nor is she such an absolutely close friend that I would ask her to do this for free. She has a fairly tight budget in her life and I know will appreciate this being a gig but also wants to help. We are also pretty broke. I really don't have the first clue how to arrive at a number. Any ideas?

mmmmsleep Tue 13-Nov-12 03:00:57

Could you look into how much a student doula would cost? That might give a ball park figure...i say student as figure that's more like mate's rates. Round here that's £250 i think.

worsestershiresauce Tue 13-Nov-12 07:10:34

In the UK a maternity nurse is £160 for a 24hr on call shift (although obviously they have sleep breaks etc)

Mixxy Tue 13-Nov-12 07:37:31

I would say $200 a day.

seventyeight Tue 13-Nov-12 07:53:28

My first thought on seeing the title was they should do it for free as a friend but then I read post and agree you should pay her. Can you times minimum wage by 24 to get a day rate?

kittyhello88 Fri 30-Nov-12 06:23:00

I think offer her $250 all up ? U.S that is and maybe an extra $50 for any extras like if she drives you anywhere etc.

baublesandbaileys Fri 30-Nov-12 17:38:22

newly qualified doulas here are £200 plus travel expenses, students are free (rare to "catch" one at that stage), experienced doulas £400
post natal hourly rate is max £10 but with min amt of hours plus travel expenses

baublesandbaileys Fri 30-Nov-12 17:39:56

p.s. the doula rates here includes being totally "on call" for 2 weeks either side of your due date, plus pre and post natal visits. So no drinking at all, no going more than x miles away from home, not commiting to other jobs etc

baublesandbaileys Fri 30-Nov-12 17:41:37

just incase that's not clear I meant they are "on call" for you for 4 weeks in total, so no travel, other work commitments that can't be left, or drinking for a month for that rate.. so the £400 rate translates as £100 a week to make being available to you a priority

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now