Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pramsuit/ Snowsuit

(25 Posts)
woody2313 Mon 12-Nov-12 21:01:43

Given that my baby's due in January, I'd like to buy a snowsuit/ pramsuit for it to wear from birth in the cold weather... I've found plenty of nice ones especially for boys or girls but am struggling to find a nice, not too expensive unisex one... any good finds out there?

eagleray Mon 12-Nov-12 21:09:33

Hi - I'm having a January baby too and have bought a couple of second hand Petit Bateau snowsuits off Ebay for not too much money - one is a tiny newborn size and the other is 0-3 months (one is red and one is purple, so fairly unisex I guess). Really wasn't sure how much they will get used, but I guess I haven't spent a fortune if they haven't seen the light of day...

I am sure someone more experienced will be along soon to give you some proper advice!

fairimum Mon 12-Nov-12 21:15:57

love to know if anyone has come across pram/snow suit type things without hoods? Just dd was prem and now is just 4lb and the hoods are just too bundled up when in the car seat etc
thanks

terilou87 Tue 13-Nov-12 10:39:30

next do some nice unisex ones. also good old primark and iv seen one in boyes. fairmum iv never seen one without a hood for newborn.

showtunesgirl Tue 13-Nov-12 10:43:38

They have some lovely ones at Matalan.

gwenniebee Tue 13-Nov-12 10:46:26

There's a plain white one in john lewis...

KentuckyFriedChildren Tue 13-Nov-12 11:15:00

fairimum I had the same problem when my older two were tiny and I used fleece sleepsuits and a hat over their normal babygrows. (both teeny prem as well)
woody have a look on eBay and just narrow the search options so that it only shows white/cream snowsuits. There are some lovely ones. Also matalan and h&m both have some beautiful unisex ones- there is a lovely white dumbo one in my local matalan atm which is lovely and warm and under 20 quid.

Startail Tue 13-Nov-12 11:51:53

Borrow one, the sizing on them is awful and you may find you don't use them much.

DD1 (Jan baby) wore hers about twice. She just woke up and screamed every time you went in a shop because she was too hot. A lightweight jacket and a blanket stuffed in the coszy toes worked way better because you could unzip and untuck her as you walked through the shop door and she'd stay asleep.

Snow-suits look really cute, but they are also too hot in the car and a total pita to get off to change nappies. I honestly wouldn't bother.

The warm thing we did use occasionally was some really thick sweatshirt fabric dungarees (posh os gosh ones off an aunt with money). those were nice for long walks in the pushchair in the cold and for the rare occasions anyone braved our awful back carrier.

chocolateteabag Tue 13-Nov-12 11:55:12

I had DS in November 2010 and found I didn't really use the fluffy snow suits as much as I thought I would.
That was when we had loads of snow so would go out with DS either already in pram or in car seat in a foot muff thingy. Which with vests and babygros and cardie etc - I worried that the snowsuit and car seat/ pram muff thingy would overheat him - especially when you are going into shops or in a car.

We had a windproof one when he was 3 mo old to use in the sling and then baby carrier

Unless we were going to be outside for a long period of time (walking), then it was a faff to get him togged up to only have to "untog" when you got inside for fear of him cooking.

HTH

Nicknamegrief Tue 13-Nov-12 12:02:28

I have the polar tech fleeces from jojomamanbebe. They are still like new and some are 2nd hand, they will be used again for my 4th due in New Years.

Perhaps more pricey than high street ones but they are really lightweight and do an amazingly good job. Shower proof, very warm, wash well and dry very quickly. Fold over at the hands and feet so you don't have to worry about gloves etc, unzip down the body which means it is easy to get on and off.

One of the best things I bought 9years ago for my first.

WillYouDoTheFandango Tue 13-Nov-12 12:09:08

I love this one from Matalan. This is the one we have got, it's so soft!

happyhow Tue 13-Nov-12 12:32:21

I got a lovely neutral one in TKmaxx for £12.99. It's very soft and fluffy but not too thick. Def worth a look in there...

MimsyBorogroves Tue 13-Nov-12 12:34:27

Boots had lovely neutral ones last year (and they were very warm)

Think we also managed to get a neutral one from Tesco.

lorisparkle Tue 13-Nov-12 12:45:19

I bought one from jojomamanbebe as well and although slightly more pricy was the best thing I ever bought. As it is not too thick and 'puffy' it can be used for a longer season and then with extra blankets in the coldest months. As Nicknamegrief says the way the hands and feet fold over and the very long zip make it a great product.

woody2313 Tue 13-Nov-12 16:51:08

Thanks guys. What do you think of this one? Spotty Snowsuit
I like it but don't know if it's unisex. There's only one review of it and the reviewer mentions her daughter. Just thought it was more interesting than plain white/ beige but I don't want people wondering why I've put my baby in the 'wrong clothes'!

fairimum Tue 13-Nov-12 17:10:35

thanks Kentucky... any tips on where to find any tiny fleece babygrows - they seem to be out of fashion this year as know i had them for my other two! been watching a few on ebay, but need up to 5lb ones and not having much luck sad

CrackleMauve Tue 13-Nov-12 18:20:02

Woody, whatever you dress your baby in someone will decide it is the other gender. People are just like that. You can have a baby dressed head to toe in pink and someone will say "oh what a lovely boy". Get what you like.

Safety notice though. Please don't put babies in a pram suit and then into a car
Seat in the car. All the padding makes it very hard to secure the straps properly and the car seat may not work properly in the event of a crash. Heavy coats and pramsuits off in the car.

woody2313 Tue 13-Nov-12 18:53:18

DH has just told me that he hates it so back to the drawing board! Thanks for the safety advice Crackle

DeathMetalMum Tue 13-Nov-12 20:17:08

Try george at asda. We have a lovely one from there was passed on from sil and have found their range great after washing etc. Have things that are gping to be worn by a third or 4th baby.

However we also never used snowsuits until dd's second winter (born in Feb) as they were too big and bulky. We had two newborn ones and neither fit properly.

LimeLeafLizard Tue 13-Nov-12 22:42:51

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about having a winter babies and several people posted that they found snowsuits difficult to manage on newborns. There was too much fabric for the baby. There were a couple of alternatives recommended. I'll try to link it.

LimeLeafLizard Tue 13-Nov-12 22:48:08

winter babies thread

moojie Tue 13-Nov-12 22:59:09

Noticed this on active convos. I have 2 ds's and have a variety of snowsuits all of which were hardly used. They are so a bulky and they really didn't look comfortable as ds1 liked to be swaddled arms in tight and ds2 is a thumb sucker so can't bend his arm enough in a snowsui
For ds2 I have bought a sheepskin carseat footmuff (eBay bargain!) And it works brilliantly for the nursery run where he has to be plonked outside whilst I get Ds1 in and sorted.

It's perfect as I put a fleece blanket underneath then hat on and he is warm and snuggly! He usually falls asleep on the way back so I can just lift him out and straight into his cot. This just wouldn't work with a snowsuit on.

woody2313 Wed 14-Nov-12 06:12:35

Thanks LimeLeafLizard

ItLooksLikeRainDear Wed 14-Nov-12 06:20:25

Used snowshoes with DS & found them a nightmare to get on & off & he often got too hot.

By the time DD came along I discovered these
http://tuppenceandcrumble.com/shop/star_wraps

So much easier to use

ItLooksLikeRainDear Wed 14-Nov-12 06:21:54

Snowsuits! Autocorrect changed it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now