Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

omega 3 supplements

(8 Posts)
MisselthwaiteManor Mon 12-Nov-12 18:21:56

Do any of you take these, if so which ones would you reccomend?

The midwife suggested taking pregnancy-specific ones but they're so expensive, and I already have a stockpile of non-omega3 pregnacare.

I'm looking at the tesco for vegetarian ones, they obviously have no fish liver in but there's no ingredients listed on the website so on the off-chance anyone happens to have a bottle could you have a read and tell me if they're suitable.

thank you

worsestershiresauce Mon 12-Nov-12 18:26:04

The non-pregnancy ones have a high level of vitamin A which can be dangerous for your baby. You must take a pregnancy safe version.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 12-Nov-12 18:31:17

Google echiomega. It's totally veggie (including the capsule) I don't know if it's suitable for pregnancy or not though.

MisselthwaiteManor Mon 12-Nov-12 18:52:14

I know worsestershiresauce, that's why I was looking at the veggie ones, I thought the vitamin A was only in supplements that used liver.

Thanks, I'll have a look at echiomega.

redyellowgreen Mon 12-Nov-12 19:00:33

Not sure it's true that you have to have the veggie ones:

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-take-a-fish-oil-or-other-omega-3-supplement-du_10336998.bc

Just so long as there's no cod liver oil, it says that other fish oil is fine.

PeshwariNaan Mon 12-Nov-12 20:22:41

Yes, it's only cod liver oil you have to avoid.

Find a supplement that's not a super-dosage (the Pregnacare Plus ones, which I take, have 300 mg DHA) and make sure they are very high quality, third party certified and do not smell rancid. Nordic oils are the best option. They're not cheap, but might be cheaper than re-buying Pregnacare Plus.

Dh2812 Mon 12-Nov-12 22:09:00

Hi. I was recommended Eskimo 3 and think they are great. Expensive but they're safe in pregnancy.

MisselthwaiteManor Wed 14-Nov-12 19:24:04

I gave up and went for the pregnacare ones (half-price in superdrug at the moment and they're doing free postage online if anyone else is interested.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now