Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

MLBU or delivery unit?

(14 Posts)
orangeshortbread Mon 12-Nov-12 17:33:56

I'm 33 weeks with my first pregnancy due to give birth in the Rosie hospital Cambridge.

I guess my dilemma is this: I love the idea of the privacy of a Midwife-led centre and of the relaxed nature of this as busy hospitals freak me out and I find it difficult to share a sleeping/showering space with other people I don't know. On the other hand my pain threshold is quite low and I know that in the midwife-led centre an epidural is out of the question and I have no idea how realistic it is that I can cope with gas and air alone. Any experiences/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I have heard that the new Rosie birthing centre is lovely and am on a waiting list for a tour. Has anybody already given birth there and could share positive/negative experiences? I'm also interested in people's experiences of the delivery unit at the Rosie.

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Mon 12-Nov-12 17:54:23

I don't know that unit - is it attached to an obstetrician-led maternity unit? When I was in labour with DD I started off in the MLBU but I decided I wanted an epidural so just walked through to the delivery suite next door. I kept the same midwife and it was fine, no hassle at all. Different hospital though!

stinkinseamonkey Mon 12-Nov-12 17:55:54

is the MLU part of the main delivery unit, or on a different site? if the latter go for the main delivery unit!

cupcake78 Mon 12-Nov-12 18:57:46

Can't speak for you but I want doctors, drugs, more doctors and some more drugs.

chezziejo Mon 12-Nov-12 19:12:11

I had my first at Darley Birth Centre and it was absolutely lovely. Had two midwives and a health care assistant all to myself. It's been closed now tho due to cost so hospital birth unit this time. Hopefully be ok. By the way I'm a right Mard arse and gave birth with just two cocodamol.

Fluffyfish Mon 12-Nov-12 20:30:14

I agree with cupcake

philbee Mon 12-Nov-12 20:43:20

Yes, normally you can just say 'actually, changed my mind, get me the bloody epidural!' and they whisk you to the clinical bit. Unless it's a stand alone mlu and then you get in an ambulance. Bit hard to have to commit in advance. I went into hospital requesting a section (apparently they don't do them if you're just tired, has to be a 'medical' reason, gah) and got through on cocodamol and gas and air. Unpredictable. What would happen if you needed pain relief?

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Mon 12-Nov-12 20:59:00

I know this isn't exactly or at all what you posted about OP but have you thought about non-pharmaceutical pain relief options (like natal hypnotherapy)? It sounds like you like the idea of MLU but are worried about the administration of pain relief...if you got some techniques that helped you to relieve pain/tension that you are in control of, it might make you feel less anxious about needing other professional 'pain relievers' in close proximity and allow you to try the MLU with confidence. Just a thought...

Jo1984uk Tue 13-Nov-12 08:00:56

I have b

Jo1984uk Tue 13-Nov-12 08:07:11

Let's start again.. I have booked into Malden Suite at Kingston which is midwife led. However, it's my first baby and I don't really know what to expect so the pain relief available is something I am a bit nervous about. However, as far as I know it's on the main labour ward so I could still get the epidural if needed. I don't really want it to be honest, but like I say if the pain is that bad or if there is an emergency, it is comforting to know its an option. On the other hand will it be too tempting to get the epidural just because I can?!? Lots to think about! I have heard lots of positive stories about midwife led units, good luck with your decision :-)

mmmnoodlesoup Tue 13-Nov-12 08:17:01

I'm going to start off at the MLU and see how I go. If I really cannot cope, I will pop downstairs for drugs and drs grin

Ebb Tue 13-Nov-12 09:59:26

I had both mine in the MLU ( Not in Cambridge ) but it was literally next door to the delivery suite so I could have transfered. I found it more relaxing ( well as relaxing as it can be in labour! ) with soft mats and blocks to lean on, low lights, music etc. I'd highly recommend the birth pool if you can get access to one. I did demand an epidural with my second but I was in transition and DD arrived very, very quickly after that.

Looking at the site map, The Rosie Hospital seems to contain both the MLU and the delivery unit but I could be wrong?

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 13-Nov-12 13:22:37

I'm expecting my first in January and am booked into our local MLU, again no epidurals or CSs possible there. I have in my head that I'm OK with pain, but in reality I've never actually done anything worse than twist my ankle so I don't really know! My midwife has said that I can be transferred to the main hospital if need be - it's apparently a 12-minute ambulance journey, which is less time than it would take to set up the epidural or CS so I'm happy with that. I think.
I may change my mind tomorrow though!

katiecubs Tue 13-Nov-12 14:58:23

I love the idea of an MLU birth but I found my first labour horrendously painful and needed an epidural (thought I had a high pain threshold too!)

If you can transfer no problem though then that sounds fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now