Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

A recommendation for dh's who couldn't attend the ante natal classes...

(7 Posts)
mameulah Sun 11-Nov-12 21:17:23

...my dh could only go to the first ante natal class. We have been watching The Essential Baby Care Guide which has been recommended and (at least part) written by Professor Robert Winston (that fertility expert with the moustache). It cost £35 but it is really good, well it has been for us, and we are a couple who don't know anything about babies.

stinkinseamonkey Sun 11-Nov-12 21:57:56

is there a local hypnobirthing sessin he can make with you, IMO they are of more use to birth partners than regular antenatal classes as there's loads about thier role

mameulah Sun 11-Nov-12 22:22:23

Well our baby is due any minute now so I think we may have left it a bit late! But I appreciate your recommendation and will do some investigation on the internet. Thank you!

Runningblue Sun 11-Nov-12 22:33:30

I really liked the 'happy birth day' book written/published by NCT
It has a nice empowering air to it, which is promotes active birth and the like.
DS read it too and found it useful...
happy birth day

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 11-Nov-12 22:34:24

Is it the birth you are worried about or the first few weeks? We didn't do any antenatal classes with dc1 as I had extremely low blood pressure and couldn't get to any and we were fine.

If its the birth, tell him to read your birth plan carefully before labour and ask about anything he doesn't understand. Tell him don't be afraid to stick up for you either.

If its after the birth, his role will be cooking, bringing you snacks ans drinks and limiting visitors and settling LO between feeds smile.

Get him a copy of Babycalming by Caroline deacon as it is very good at explaining baby behaviour and how to deal with it. The la Leche league have some information on their websites for dads too smile

mameulah Sun 11-Nov-12 22:49:04

Thank you everyone, at the moment my biggest worry is that I may in fact be pregnant forever!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 12-Nov-12 06:57:41

No you won't be pregnant forever, soon you'll have a lovely little baby and pg will seem like a distant memory smile.

For the birth, tell him you need calm support, thats the key. Well you'll need that after too smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now