Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Slap cheek at 4 weeks pregnant

(5 Posts)
butterflyandpig Sun 11-Nov-12 15:15:45

Sods law - I've never heard anyone ever talk about slap cheek my entire life (bar the occassional mention on mumsnet), find out I'm pregnant, next day go to a party with 15 teachers and get told towards the end of the night that there is a slap cheek epidemic at their school and the person I was chatting to all night had flu symptoms which could well be start of slap cheek!!!!!

Anyone been in this situation? I've not had any symtoms of slap cheek in my life, so unlikely to be immune. I'm not even 4 weeks yet but not sure what that means.

I've done a search on the internet to try to work out what the chances are that I catch it, and then what I should do. I know there's not much I can do if I get it, but can't even work out if it is better or worse to catch it at such an early stage of pregnancy! Anyone know more than me?

vodkaanddietirnbru Sun 11-Nov-12 15:19:22

I think you should contact your gp as it can cause miscarriage if caught in the first 20 weeks of pregnancy.

What are the risks of slapped cheek syndrome during pregnancy?

TheLittleFriend Sun 11-Nov-12 15:23:40

Your Mw or gp will do a blood test to see if you're immune. I'm having one on weds as I've been in contact with someone with it too. Definitely speak with your Mw on monday.

butterflyandpig Sun 11-Nov-12 15:32:52

Thanks for the replies. That link is really helpful. I wasn't even planning on going to the GP for a couple of weeks as this is my 4th pregnancy this year (think my GP and midwife are probably sick of me telling them I'm pregnant!)so well aware that things go wrong in pregnancy and there is not alot you can do about it! Also another reason I keep noticing the things which could go wrong. I really hope I am immune and this one turns into a baby.

Will maybe bring forward my anticipated GP appointment to get a test. Last pregnancy had a toxoplasmosis scare although pregnancy ended for totally different reasons. There are so many things to worry about at each corner - trying not to think about them too much...

butterflyandpig Sun 11-Nov-12 18:13:32

In case anyone is interested, there were some interesting stats in this article:

http://www.hpa.org.uk/cdph/issues/CDPHVol5/No1/rash_illness_guidelines.pdf

Chances of not already being immune: 40-50%
Chances of getting infection if live with infected person: 50%
Chances of passing infection on to foetus: <4 weeks - 0%, 5-16weeks - 15%, >16 weeks - 25%-70% increasing with gestation
Chances of miscarriage/problems - 12%

In summary, right now at 4 weeks pregnant )with likely incubation period of 3 weeks, I figure my chances of losing the foetus to miscarriage are 0.4*0.5*0.15*1.2 = 0.36% chance! I know stats mean nothing if you are unlucky and affected - after three miscarriages, being told you are 1 in 100 is not comforting!!!!

But, until I hear otherwise, I'm not going to worry and will just mention it to the GP/midwife when I see them. For now following the mantra "today, I am pregnant!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now