Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gestational diabetes stopped at 36 weeks!!

(9 Posts)
Harbot Sun 11-Nov-12 14:36:26

I'm wondering whether anyone else has had a similar experience as I'm finding this quite odd.

I'm now 36 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks (due to a big baby) and have been managing it with diet so not had to go onto insulin. I'm quite small-framed and wasn't eating much sweet stuff so it was just about cutting out fruit & carbs. Until about a week ago, I was getting about one or two high readings a day, but never in double figures. However, since last Monday, I have had no high readings at all - my readings are now consistently between 4-5 before meals and between 6-7 after. I'm still sticking to the diet that seemed to be working, plus, after being very sedentary (due to a lot of 2nd tri bleeding, plus bad SPD) for 8 weeks, I started swimming 3x a week about a month ago.

But I've read that the GD is supposed to get worse at this stage!! I seem unable to see this as positive and I'm worrying that my placenta might not be working properly (although the baby is moving fine) - I have had a difficult pregnancy so think I may be over-worrying about everything (including thinking that my blood glucose tester might be broken).

I'm seeing the diabetic team at my hospital on Tue so will ask about it then but has this happened to anyone else?

crunchingautumnleaves Sun 11-Nov-12 15:03:56

Exercise is a great way of combatting GD & it may be too that you've made enough small changes to your diet to get it just right for your requirements. Re the testing kit, do you have a little bottle of testing fluid? If so, read instructions to find out how to use it. If it's working fine with the test fluid, you can rest assured it's correctly assessing your blood sugar levels.

Harbot Sun 11-Nov-12 15:12:38

I'm just o a normal blood glucose monitoring kit from the NHS, a bit like the picture here Blood glucose monitor

I'm thinking that they must be correct as they are pretty consistent, plus when I do things like not start off with protein (which was something I discovered really works), they are within range but a bit higher but of course I'm worrying too!

crunchingautumnleaves Sun 11-Nov-12 15:18:47

Looks like the one I had from the hospital also. In the zipped bag it goes in there was a tiny little bottle of testing fluid that you would use on a test strip occasionally (can't remember how often) instead of pricking finger, which would show you if the monitor was still working properly. You could ask them on Tues for some if it'd help reassure you but you're probably fine. Try not to worry too much as stress can also lead to higher blood sugars.

crunchingautumnleaves Sun 11-Nov-12 15:19:15

Easier said than done, I know smile

Harbot Sun 11-Nov-12 15:32:53

Thank you! I didn't get one of those bottles but will ask on Tue. Do you have GD?

crunchingautumnleaves Sun 11-Nov-12 16:47:35

Diagnosed in a previous pregnancy. Also found protein based breakfast had a positive effect on all my results that day - eggs especially seemed good. So after that, omelettes were my dream start grin. Also check out the Dr Brewer diet (diet, as in way of eating, not as in trying to lose weight) for pregnancy on: www.blueribbonbaby.org/ & www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/ Recommended to me by midwife & kept me fine throughout last time - not even a hint of GD smile. Although it sounds like you may have your diet pretty good anyway, especially with the new levels of exercise. Well done!

Harbot Sun 11-Nov-12 17:01:51

Thanks a lot for that tip, I'll definitely have a look. I too have found that if I eat pure protein (ie eggs or meat or tofu) to start my breakfast, it seems to really stabilise my readings for the day. It's funny, I didn't get much info about diet from my midwife or the diabetic clinic, just the really obvious things like no sugar, not even fruit. But I've found out loads of other stuff that really helps the sugar levels stay normal like eating protein first in the meal, drinking at least 1/2 pt of water with food and above all, exercise seems to act as a natural insulin. Oh, and raspberry leaf tea seems to help too (although obviously only after 34 weeks).

Well done on managing yours too and good luck in this pregnancy!!

lotsofcheese Sun 11-Nov-12 17:41:08

Harbot It sounds more like you've got it under control, as opposed to the GDM being gone - from what you've written I would think that the dietary changes & increased activity are keeping your blood glucose levels within the correct range. The only way you'll find out if the GDM has gone is to have your post-natal GTT at 6 weeks.

If you are worried about placental function, you could call your diabetes nurse/midwife tomorrow morning.

Good luck - it looks like you're doing a sterling job!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now