Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

worried now!..

(7 Posts)
ditsydoll Sun 11-Nov-12 13:20:50

Had a Chinese takeaway last night with DH and just decided to delve into the left overs (chicken in blackbean with boiled rice) cold out of the fridge.

DH came in and said I shouldn't have eaten the left overs because you can get food poisoning from rice. I have to admit I honestly didn't know this and now I'm worried.

It was all refrigerated once we had finished with it and it just about left the fridge for me to scoff it down blush

Will I get sick or could I have hurt my baby? I'm 12 weeks pregnant

RightUpMyRue Sun 11-Nov-12 13:30:00

There's a thread all about re-heating here http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/good_housekeeping/1607606-If-you-cant-reheat-rice

Have you ever been poisoned by rice before? I haven't.

I reckon you'll be absolutely fine, try not to worry smile

RightUpMyRue Sun 11-Nov-12 13:30:59

Oops, buggered up the link, Let's try again.

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Sun 11-Nov-12 13:41:03

Rice is a bugger for giving food poisoning but this is because in restaurants it is cooked en masse and then kept at nice germ friendly temperature for hours on end and then reheated to a nice germ friendly temperature the next day. Rice which has been properly refrigerated and reheated is perfectly safe.

ditsydoll Sun 11-Nov-12 13:41:19

Thanks rightupmyrue but I didn't Reheat the rice I left it cold.. was wondering if that was a problem really? I know when rehearing food it has to be piping hot and its usually ok but what if you never Reheat it at all?

I didn't even really think about it, I was starving, saw tasty food and got stuck in.

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Sun 11-Nov-12 13:43:02

If you stored it safely and ate it cold, it is pretty much the same risk as when you had it hot the day before. (IE if you were going to get food poisoning from it, you'd already be sick by now.)

ItsMyLastOne Sun 11-Nov-12 14:29:39

I've spent years reheating rice and never once got ill from it. I very much doubt you'll get ill now. There's nothing you can do now to stop it if you are going to have food poisoning, and you'd probably have your head in the loo by now anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now