Talk

Advanced search

Sleeping while pregnant

(15 Posts)
purplewoofer Sun 11-Nov-12 09:11:38

I know you are only supposed to sleep on you right and not tummy or back but when does this start from? I am 15 week and find it really hard getting comfortable. Surly the back thing is when the baby is bigger and it is to do with the weight putting pressure in a vein or artery so presumably this is only later on in pregnancy? And sleeping on the front is that only to do with being comfortable or will you actually squash the baby??

mmmnoodlesoup Sun 11-Nov-12 09:13:01

I think it's on your left side and from second tri? You definitely won't want, or be able to sleep on your front soon! Feels like you will pop!

purplewoofer Sun 11-Nov-12 09:20:43

Yes I did actually mean left ! Never been good with directions!!

KentuckyFriedChildren Sun 11-Nov-12 09:34:24

I only just stopped sleeping on my front at about 32 wks (am 35 now) and I was propped up with pillows on one side. You won't squash the baby they are well cushioned. Wrt the sleeping on your back its better to be comfy and well rested than up all night. Get a few pillows and prop yourself up if you're worried but its not likely to do you any harm. Also if you stick a pillow under your bump you might be a bit comfort on your side.

terilou87 Sun 11-Nov-12 09:44:46

they only advise you to sleep on your left because it helps your blood flow. and your advised against sleeping on your back as the baby can lay on a nerve which is very painful, and for obv reasons lying on your tummy. iv had spd so sleeping is terribly painful and im rolling around all night. so your fine to sleep on either side if you want to.

PeachTown Sun 11-Nov-12 09:46:44

No matter what position you try to go to sleep in, you'll wake up in another. I wake up on my back all the time at 31 weeks. Don't worry about it.

MaMaPo Sun 11-Nov-12 09:47:35

Sleep however you feel comfy! I am 35 weeks and really miss sleeping on my front, but I'd still do it if it felt ok (it doesn't!). I don't bother trying to sleep on the left more than the right, and most nights I wake up on my back anyway.

Get your sleep when and how you can! (she wrote, after getting to bed at 3am shock)

MyFriendGoo Sun 11-Nov-12 09:55:56

This thread is reassuring - I have been putting off sleeping on the left as it puts me nose-to-nose with my loudly snoring husband.

VolumeOfACone Sun 11-Nov-12 09:57:32

I read that you can sleep on your front as long as you are comfortable to.

DoodleAlley Sun 11-Nov-12 10:13:59

I'm a natural sleeping on my back and front but find sleeping on my side easier as the bump gets bigger.

I ignore the sleep on the left hand side though - who can stay in one position all night?! I'm just congratulating myself that I'm even on my side!! If I lean towards the front I get paranoid the baby wil turn out like flat Stanley. I have no scientific proof to substantiate this!

Saying that I can't multitask to save my life - so sleeping and being pregnant is just one too many things for my body and brain!!

noblegiraffe Sun 11-Nov-12 10:21:59

A couple of studies have found an increased risk of stillbirth associated with sleeping on your back in late pregnancy so it's best avoided. Obviously you can't help rolling around in your sleep, though I've got pillows behind me to prop myself onto my side as I hate sleeping on my side. I slept on my front till it got uncomfortable.

Dovetale Sun 11-Nov-12 10:48:23

You'll know when you can't sleep on you back anymore. I find I can stay on my back for about 30 seconds before I start to feel breathless and have to move onto my side. I think it's as with all things pregnancy related, your body will let you know what's right.

ItsMyLastOne Sun 11-Nov-12 11:25:36

I'm 37 weeks and spend the night swapping sides. I do sometimes wake up on my back but generally I wake up because it's uncomfortable so it's not necessarily a conscious decision not to lie on my back iyswim. I also kind of lie on my front with the help of a pillow or two. SPD and a transverse baby mean everything hurts so I just sleep however I can!

stinkinseamonkey Sun 11-Nov-12 13:18:18

I'm 32wks and try not to lie on my back, you'd know if your particular bump compressed your blood vessels and mine don't seem to.

I am as comfortable on my front as on my sides so try to swap between them, but I am most comfortable on my back - I do my best to avoid it because its the worst way to lie in terms of getting the baby into a good position for labour . Tummy or left is probably best, you won't squash the baby - there's fluid in there too to keep it cushioned! (think it helps to have massive norks, prob more uncomfortable on front if its just balancing on your bump and you're not propped up by norkage!)

MJP1 Sun 11-Nov-12 13:44:52

My midwife said sleep how ever you want can and feel most comfortable, she said at some point sleeping on your back will become difficult as you'll struggle to breath with being so squished up so you'll wake yourself up. I was worried but reassured by this advice, I am only 28 weeks and I am stuggling to sleep at all knowing that every hour I wake up desparate for a wee, maybe its getting us ready for baby. I also have one of the huge body pillows which i reluctantly bought but ABSOLUTELY love. sleep tight xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now