Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy book recommendation

(12 Posts)
photographerlady Sat 10-Nov-12 12:37:57

Anyone recommend a good pregnancy book only first trimester for me but love to snuggle up this afternoon with some reading.

Olympicrock Sat 10-Nov-12 12:41:05

What to expect when you're expecting. Sensible, factual and helpful

Dandelion75 Sat 10-Nov-12 13:07:00

I like 'What to Expect When you are Expecting' too - it's been really helpful over the past few weeks. Not too emotional or chatty - just a factual reference book with a good index so you can quickly look up whatever your latest weird pregnancy side effect happens to be grin

Be sure to get a UK version - some people have said its too American for their liking but i think they have picked up US copies by mistake on the net. Mine is UK version from Amazon.

phoenixrose314 Sat 10-Nov-12 13:13:02

I loved WTEWYE too! I made sure I got the UK version though (popped down to my local Waterstones), as previous MNers said it was too Americanised.

I enjoyed it because I am a worrier (and rightly so, having lost 3 little angels before this miracle happened), and there are lots of reassuring bits that basically say what you're experiencing is normal, what is happening to your body, how you might be feeling, etc. There's also a lovely section at the back for Dads (and you) to read that I found really helpful with anticipating how my DH might be feeling.

It also does a Weekly and Monthly overview, so there's always something new to read. My only advice...... don't skip to the 9 month bit too early!!! ;)

TwitchyTail Sat 10-Nov-12 13:28:13

Another vote for What to Expect. Check your local library - we ordered a copy to ours so got it for free!

Bunnychan Sat 10-Nov-12 13:56:58

I have a dorling Kingsley day by day pregnancy guide. I love it- daily and weekly information and lots of extra advice. The pictures are good and you can dip in easily x

PeshwariNaan Sat 10-Nov-12 14:30:17

I like What to Expect and also Pregnancy Week by Week (Leslie Regan). A Child is Born has beautiful, amazing photographs of the growing embryo.

Rosiesharples Sat 10-Nov-12 15:29:07

I ordered the updated 'your pregnancy bible' which arrived this morning and appears to cover everything from pregnancy through to first aid when bubba arrives. I had the older version when I had DD 5 years ago and really liked it. Happy reading! wink

chocolateteabag Sat 10-Nov-12 22:34:29

I really liked Lucy Atkins "First time Parent" - only book I found which talked about the first couple of days after the birth.

OP - I would go to your library and take out some of the baby books from there and see which you like best, saves buying too many.

aufaniae Sun 11-Nov-12 00:22:45

Sorry but WTEWYE really annoyed me. It's written for the US market and has been given a quick hatchet job IMO, to make it UK English - swapping nappy for diaper for example.

However some of the info in it is totally incorrect for the UK - for example they have a section about choosing your doctor. It's just not the way it's done in the NHS.

Also I think it was WTEWYE which basically tells you to give your child a nice Christian name. I lost patience with it at that point.

If you want something comprehensive, I would highly recommend Your Pregnancy Week by Week It's an excellent book, and also has plenty of amazing pictures.

More importantly it's written by a UK expert, Amazon says "Professor Lesley Regan is a mother of twins and head of the department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at St. Mary's Hospital" so it's actually relevant! I can be confident that the advice on tests etc actually applies to me.

aufaniae Sun 11-Nov-12 00:26:59

For slightly more light-hearted, I'd also highly recommend The Rough Guide to Pregnancy and Birth

It's got some really sound advice in it, but also a week-by-week diary which I found I could relate to and was laugh-out-loud funny in places smile

SloeNinja Sun 11-Nov-12 01:33:27

I've got WTEWYE - useful for facts and week by week, but my favourite is the MN guide to pregnancy - it's hilarious, useful, and I think the right balance between medical-type advice and real life experience.

www.amazon.co.uk/Pregnancy-Mumsnet-Guide-Answers-Everything/dp/0747598630

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now