Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Long haul trip abroad at 7 weeks without DH - first pregnancy - a bit anxious

(11 Posts)
BeadyEyes Sat 10-Nov-12 08:08:58

Hi there,

I'm probably worrying about nothing, but I'm going away for a week (without DH) soon - I'll be 7w1d when I leave and 8w2d when I get back. It's an 8.5 hour flight each way. It's my first pregnancy and I am naturally a bit of an anxious person anyway!

I will be working and visiting relatives (who I haven't seen since I was a kid!), but wasn't planning to tell anyone I'm pregnant.

I know it won't harm the baby, but I do feel a bit worried about the travel and if something goes wrong while I am there, or morning sickness or extreme fatigue hitting me like a ton of bricks.... (I have travel insurance BTW...and flight stockings!)

Does anyone have any travel or other tips on how to cope??

Thanks for reading!

Cheffie100 Sat 10-Nov-12 08:31:34

I don't but would also be eager to know as off to Asia at 13 weeks.

Pinkflipflop Sat 10-Nov-12 08:36:54

I went to America when I was 9 weeks pregnant and I was fine. The heat and morning sickness were a horrific combination but the actual flying was no problem.

Onlyaphase Sat 10-Nov-12 08:37:08

I flew to the Maldives at 7 weeks pregnant, back at 9 weeks. 12 hour flight each way. It was fine, I made sure to walk around and stretch during the flight as much as possible to minimise swollen ankles etc.

The only thing is the tiredness, which you have already mentioned. I slept a lot on holiday - thought it was jetlag - and when I came back I couldn't shake it either. Clearly it wasn't jetlag. But it wasn't shattering, and really no more than wanting an early night at that stage.

Hope all goes well.

sundaesundae Sat 10-Nov-12 08:37:37

Make sure your insurance covers you, just having it isn't enough, I'd phone and ask what you are covered for and whether you need to declare it and talk to your GP, mine advised against long haul before 12 weeks, but I can't remember why!

KatieTrancoso Sat 10-Nov-12 12:34:36

I found out I was pregnant on my first day of our holiday in the US! I flew back when I was 6/7 weeks. I saw a brilliant midwife in the US, and she said to make sure to drink lots of water as it's really easy to dehydrate on the plane. The water will make you go to the loo lots which is GOOD as you need to move around - every time I went to the loo I walked all around the plane before I sat down. The flight was fine (10 hours) but what I did find that jetlag hit me far far worse than I have ever had it before, and the nausea I experienced on my return was so intense I was basically in bed for a week. I then found out that pregnancy exacerbates jetlag and jetlag makes pregnancy symptoms worse! Just make sure you allow lots of time to rest after both flights, and find out the name of a decent doctor/OB/midwife where you are going so you have someone to speak to if you need to. Flight stockings are a good idea as you are at a higher risk of DVT while pregnant. Also maybe pick up some food at the airport before you fly in case you don't fancy what they offer you on plane - foods lower in fat should help reduce the risk of pregnancy/travel sickness. And my midwife advised me to take a sickbag just in case!

PeshwariNaan Sat 10-Nov-12 14:33:41

I flew 10 hours overseas at 10 weeks (returned 12 weeks) - my morning sickness was horrifically worse and the exhaustion compounded by jet lag, but other than that was OK. If you don't have morning sickness yet, then maybe you'll be fine? Mine lasted from 6-20 weeks, and I had a relapse after my flight back to the UK. Otherwise, no reason to worry, but do bring snacks and water and try to sit on the aisle. I also wore maternity compression tights to reduce the risk of DVT, which is higher for pregnant women.

chocolateteabag Sat 10-Nov-12 17:09:58

I flew long haul at 18 and 22 weeks (2 separate trips to mid west for work)
as above - drink lots and make sure you have decent flight socks on. I found my legs swelled horribly on both trips which I never normally get, so make sure you have comfortable shoes just in case

How2GetItOut Sat 10-Nov-12 20:41:05

I flew long haul alone with an 18 month old when five and a half months pregnant. Wouldn't recommend it, but I did manage. You'll be fine. I would do the special tights, lots of water, and walking around the cabin.

wanderingalbatross Sat 10-Nov-12 20:47:13

Morning (and afternoon and evening) sickness can start suddenly if you don't already have it, and one of the best ways to stave it off is to eat little and often. And it's often simple plain carbs that work the best. So I'd pack a load of snacks in hand luggage (things like oatcakes, breadsticks etc) and maybe some sweets too to suck on, just incase it comes on while you're away smile

BeadyEyes Sun 11-Nov-12 08:54:18

Thanks for the tips folks - that is really reassuring! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now